Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Skippy

Default kde and qt - something strange

Hi y'all. I've got a problem (a computer problem that is) that is
driving me nuts. The folks at forums.gentoo have been helping me out,
but not a solution yet. I thought I'd ask over here.

In a nutshell here is the problem:

---------------------------------------

checking for KDE... libraries /usr/kde/3.5/lib64,
headers /usr/kde/3.5/include checking if UIC has KDE plugins
available... no configure: error:
you need to install kdelibs first.

If you did install kdelibs, then the Qt version that is picked up by
this configure is not the same version you used to compile kdelibs.
The Qt Plugin installed by kdelibs is *ONLY* loadable if it is the
_same Qt version_, compiled with the _same compiler_ and the same Qt
configuration settings.

The whole process so far is found at:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6026707#6026707

Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks so very much, Skippy

--
On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography: http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly: http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm

Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 06 November 2009 14:13:17 Skippy wrote:
> Hi y'all. I've got a problem (a computer problem that is) that is
> driving me nuts. The folks at forums.gentoo have been helping me out,
> but not a solution yet. I thought I'd ask over here.
>
> In a nutshell here is the problem:
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> checking for KDE... libraries /usr/kde/3.5/lib64,
> headers /usr/kde/3.5/include checking if UIC has KDE plugins
> available... no configure: error:
> you need to install kdelibs first.
>
> If you did install kdelibs, then the Qt version that is picked up by
> this configure is not the same version you used to compile kdelibs.
> The Qt Plugin installed by kdelibs is *ONLY* loadable if it is the
> _same Qt version_, compiled with the _same compiler_ and the same Qt
> configuration settings.

> The whole process so far is found at:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6026707#6026707
>
> Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks so very much, Skippy

You don't give a whole lot of info. We don't even know what package your are
trying to emerge (no, I'm not going to trawl through yet another forum page to
find that, I expect you to do the heavy lifting yourself and supply that
info).

Did you even do what the message says, and remerge kdelibs?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Alex Schuster

Skippy writes:

> The whole process so far is found at:>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6026707#6026707
>
> Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks so very much, Skippy

Some ideas.

Your output of emerge -upvND world is hart to read. Add a -t to get a tree
view, then one can better see what's pulling in what.

You mention that qt-4 is masked. This is correct, as qt-4 is the old,
monolithic package. You need qt-core, qt-dbus and some more of that kind.
Qt 3 still exists as single build, so having qt-3.3.8b-r2 installed is
okay, although -r2 is keyword masked for me. Maybe you are running ~arch,
or x86_64 and this is okay, but I'd check this.

In only have qt3support and qt4 in make.conf, you have "qt qt3 qt3-support
qt3support qt4". Don't knw if this is bad, but it's more than I have.

So, you DID succeed in rebuilding kdelibs-3.5, right? or did you also get
errors there?

You might try to upgrade your portage (put sys-apps/portage in
/etc/portage/package.unmask and package.keywords), maybe it is better in
resolving this stuff.

And you can look in your config.log somewhere in /var/tmp/portage/kde-
base/libkonq-3.5.10/work/libkonq-3.5.10/, maybe you spot what exactly
causes the Qt error.

Wonko

Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Nagatoro

On Friday 06 November 2009 13.13.17 Skippy wrote:
> Hi y'all. I've got a problem (a computer problem that is) that is
> driving me nuts. The folks at forums.gentoo have been helping me out,
> but not a solution yet. I thought I'd ask over here.
>
> In a nutshell here is the problem:
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> checking for KDE... libraries /usr/kde/3.5/lib64,
> headers /usr/kde/3.5/include checking if UIC has KDE plugins
> available... no configure: error:
> you need to install kdelibs first.
>
> If you did install kdelibs, then the Qt version that is picked up by
> this configure is not the same version you used to compile kdelibs.
> The Qt Plugin installed by kdelibs is *ONLY* loadable if it is the
> _same Qt version_, compiled with the _same compiler_ and the same Qt
> configuration settings.

Have you tried following this advice? (reemerge kdelibs and qt-*)

/Naga

Old 11-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Skippy

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:55:24 +0100
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote the words:

> Skippy writes:
>
> > The whole process so far is found at:>
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6026707#6026707
> >
> > Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks so very much, Skippy
>
> Some ideas.
>
> Your output of emerge -upvND world is hart to read. Add a -t to get a
> tree view, then one can better see what's pulling in what.

I'll do that, thanks.

> You mention that qt-4 is masked. This is correct, as qt-4 is the old,
> monolithic package. You need qt-core, qt-dbus and some more of that
> kind. Qt 3 still exists as single build, so having qt-3.3.8b-r2
> installed is okay, although -r2 is keyword masked for me. Maybe you
> are running ~arch, or x86_64 and this is okay, but I'd check this.

yes, I am running ~amd64

> In only have qt3support and qt4 in make.conf, you have "qt qt3
> qt3-support qt3support qt4". Don't knw if this is bad, but it's more
> than I have.

Originally I had fewer of those use flags enabled. I added more as
time when by at the suggestion of people on the forum. It hasn't
helped obviously, but didn't seem to cause any negative change either.
It might be worth my time to try removing some of those, just to see
what happens.

> So, you DID succeed in rebuilding kdelibs-3.5, right? or did you also
> get errors there?

Yes, kdelibs-3.5 will rebuild, as will the kdelibs-4.x. I have run
emerge -e on both of them, as well as on world. No problem building
anything kde or qt until it gets to that sequence of packages that give
the error.

> You might try to upgrade your portage (put sys-apps/portage in
> /etc/portage/package.unmask and package.keywords), maybe it is better
> in resolving this stuff.

Right on, worth a try as well. I'll do that.

> And you can look in your config.log somewhere
> in /var/tmp/portage/kde- base/libkonq-3.5.10/work/libkonq-3.5.10/,
> maybe you spot what exactly causes the Qt error.

I'll try that too. Thanks for all the homework! This should keep me
occupied for a while. Skippy

--

The Cynical Libertarian Society: http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls

Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Skippy

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:52:20 +0100
Nagatoro <nagatoro@gmail.com> wrote the words:

> On Friday 06 November 2009 13.13.17 Skippy wrote:
> > Hi y'all. I've got a problem (a computer problem that is) that is
> > driving me nuts. The folks at forums.gentoo have been helping me
> > out, but not a solution yet. I thought I'd ask over here.
> >
> > In a nutshell here is the problem:
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > checking for KDE... libraries /usr/kde/3.5/lib64,
> > headers /usr/kde/3.5/include checking if UIC has KDE plugins
> > available... no configure: error:
> > you need to install kdelibs first.
> >
> > If you did install kdelibs, then the Qt version that is picked up by
> > this configure is not the same version you used to compile kdelibs.
> > The Qt Plugin installed by kdelibs is *ONLY* loadable if it is the
> > _same Qt version_, compiled with the _same compiler_ and the same Qt
> > configuration settings.
>
> Have you tried following this advice? (reemerge kdelibs and qt-*)
>
> /Naga

Yes, 7 times total to this point.