Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Maxim Wexler

Default was X crashes with nvidia-173 driver now X crash on eee w/intel driver

> Will see how it works.

Not very well. About an hour after emerging the 2.9.1 drivers the
screen went black and I had to reboot to get back to the desktop. I
notice it only seems to happen while scrolling a window in firefox.
I've left the unit on overnight with no problem. When I get back to
ctrl-alt-f1. there is this msg repeated down the console.

Gdk - Warning*** XID collision trouble ahead.

FWIW, there is this tidbit in the boot console:
[...]
* Checking battery state...
error: libhal_ctx_set_dbus_connection: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
file or directory
[...]

we seem to be getting off-topic so I amended thesubject line

mw

Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Maxim Wexler

I assumed you meant me to run /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system. So I did:

Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus.pid" exists,
if the message bus in not running , remove this file.

file duly removed and re-ran above command which did nothng visible
just returned the cursor to the next line. Is that the expected
behaviour.

BTW, overnight I upgraded to mozilla-firefox-3.5.1, and was surfing
away this morning when the screen went totally white -- same story.

Now my default desktop is down with non-functioning nvidia drivers and
the mobile is afflicted with sudden crashes. I dug up this K6-500,
2.6.19 with firefox-2.0. analog riva video and it's humming along
quite nicely

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Maxim Wexler

Oh wait, just rebooted, the message is still there but a few lines
below there is this:

*Starting D-BUS system messagebus . . .

which I remember seeing before but forgot to mention. I ran
dbus-daemon again as before with the same outcome.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Maxim Wexler

So far tried with hald in, dbus out; hald in dbus in; hald out dbus
out; hald out dbus in, default level. All four permutations.

Same error message, except when hald is out and dbus is in, it's
printed twice with a mention of hald not running.

> $ps ax | grep dbus
> 3387 ? Ss 0:03 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
> 5432 tty4 S 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
> --exit-with-session
> 5433 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5
> --print-address 7 --session

I get only one line(hald in, dbus in default level):

3023 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

> You can do '/etc/init.d/dbus restart' to look for error messages.

With hald out there is two lines: Stopping D-BUS ...Starting D-BUS
With hald in there are two additions: Stopping Hardware Abstraction
Layer...Starting Hardware etc.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Maxim Wexler

yes, like I said, "Same error message", except when I run #rc-update
del hald and reboot the msg appears twice, the second time with the
addition of a complaint that hal is missing.