Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Gentoo falling apart for me after either abandoning trying to install "Kolab" as overlay - or after upgrading to default/linux/x86/10.0

On Donnerstag 05 November 2009, Steve wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > yes, don't use locate. Also check the symlinks. Reset them with eselect
> > gcc if you have to.
> >
> > Then try all your emerges with --tree you get a lot more helpfull output.
> > Also, when a dependency is missing revdep-rebuilt loves to fail. You can
> > hunt that down with --tree or just re--emerging the stuff.
>
> Thanks very much, it looks as if "eselect gcc" was where I needed to
> start. I've had to re-build gcc and then revdep-rebuild worked, and I'm
> working through "emerge -uDNav world" - which seems to be running more
> smoothly.
>
> I was surprised that I managed to get into such a mess so easily... but
> I seem to be back on track now.
>
> Thanks.

depclean can mess up your system. That is one of many good reasons to use the
buildpkg option. No matter how hosed your system is, with buildpkg you get it
back into a working state without much trouble.