Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Mick

Default Gentoo falling apart for me after either abandoning trying to install "Kolab" as overlay - or after upgrading to default/linux/x86/10.0

2009/11/5 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com>:
> On Donnerstag 05 November 2009, Steve wrote:
>

>> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
>> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
>> cannot create executables
>> check `config.log' for details.
>
>> I presume that this is a profile issue - but I'm unclear what the fault
>> might be... I'm reluctant to continue hacking as, I suspect, I'm more
>> likely to break things than stumble across an appropriate fix.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why emerge is having such a problem with my compiler
>> - and, hopefully, ideally, how best to resolve this?
>>

> yes, don't use locate. Also check the symlinks. Reset them with eselect gcc if
> you have to.
>
> Then try all your emerges with --tree you get a lot more helpfull output.
> Also, when a dependency is missing revdep-rebuilt loves to fail. You can hunt
> that down with --tree or just re--emerging the stuff.

If you removed gcc for some reason in your depclean largesse you may
need to use a LiveCD or restore the binary from a backup - I'm sure
that this has been raised before in this M/L but I am not sure how
hard it may be to find the thread. Hopefully, one of the gurus will
chime in on how to go about recovering your system.
Mick