Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Willie Wong

Default Bash-4 mailcheck oddity

Hi list:

Finally upgraded to Bash-4 on my home desktop, and discovered a bit of
odd (as compared to Bash-3) behaviour with mail checking.

What I do:
In ~/.bashrc I have exported MAILCHECK=15, unset MAIL, and exported
MAILPATH to a long list of mailboxes. I use procmail to pre-filter
the mail into mailboxes before reading them, so the list of
mailboxes (except for the general fallback spool file) are all boxes
for storage as well as boxes for receiving incoming mail.

What happened in Bash-3:
When I start a bash session, when I log-in, nothing will show about
mails. However, if during the session an e-mail comes in and is
placed in one of the monitored mailboxes, an alert will come up
after the execution of the next command in bash.

This is my desired behaviour.

What happens in Bash-4:
As far as I can tell, the checking for new mail by comparing
time-stamps on the mail boxes still works as before. New mail comes
in, I get an alert.

What is annoying to me is that whenever I log-in now, after 15
seconds (presumeably due to MAILCHECK=15), Bash tells me I have
"new" mail in all 20 or so of the defined mailboxes. For some reason
bash is now assuming all non-empty mailboxes mean new mail.

My questions:
(1) Does anyone know if this change in design is intentional? If so,
is there anyway of turning it off? I just grepped through the man
page but didn't see anything helpful, but I may have missed it.

(2) Can someone confirm with me this is not something funny on my
end, but the actual behaviour of Bash-4?

Cheers,

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand,
"lollipop" is the longest word typed with your right hand; given
that you don't type in Dvorak.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1063 days, 14:37

Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 05 Nov 2009, Willie Wong wrote:

> Hi list:
>
> Finally upgraded to Bash-4 on my home desktop, and discovered a bit of
> odd (as compared to Bash-3) behaviour with mail checking.

Maybe you're talking about this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash@gnu.org/msg06185.html

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:28:02PM +0000, Penguin Lover Etaoin Shrdlu squawked:
> On Thursday 05 Nov 2009, Willie Wong wrote:
>
> > Hi list:
> >
> > Finally upgraded to Bash-4 on my home desktop, and discovered a bit of
> > odd (as compared to Bash-3) behaviour with mail checking.
>
> Maybe you're talking about this:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash@gnu.org/msg06185.html

Yes. I found it in my googling too. Unfortunately no satisfactory
solution was given.

Cheers,

Microsoft Word told me that instead of having "Windows ME and Linux" as
my computer expertise on my resume, I should have "Windows, Linux, and I".
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1068 days, 14:07