Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Dale

Default need sound to listen to a adobe flash video

Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would appreciate some guidance in getting sound working such that I
> can listen to an adobe flash video. I am using firefox (have the adobe
> flash plugin installed which plays video but no sound) and a pretty
> updated gentoo laptop.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Valmor
>
> PS: never tried to get sound working.

Try lspci -v and see if the sounds card is using a driver. If it is,
then the kernel is working and it is recognizing the sound card. This
is what mine looks like:

01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 eMicro 28028
I/O ports at b000 [size=32]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy

The last line is what you look for. If you see something like that then
it could be as simple as the sound is muted. I have no idea why but as
a general rule, the sound is muted when you install. I use KDE so I had
to unmute with Kmix and alsamixer to get mine working.

If it doesn't show a driver in use, then you have to either build a
module or a new kernel if you want it built in. In that case, let us
know what kind of sound card you have. The output from lspci would be
great.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would appreciate some guidance in getting sound working such that I
>>> can listen to an adobe flash video. I am using firefox (have the adobe
>>> flash plugin installed which plays video but no sound) and a pretty
>>> updated gentoo laptop.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Valmor
>>>
>>> PS: never tried to get sound working.
>>>

>> Try lspci -v and see if the sounds card is using a driver. If it is,
>> then the kernel is working and it is recognizing the sound card. This
>> is what mine looks like:
>>

>> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
>> Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 eMicro 28028
>> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
>> I/O ports at b000 [size=32]
>> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
>> Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
>>

>> The last line is what you look for. If you see something like that then
>> it could be as simple as the sound is muted. I have no idea why but as
>> a general rule, the sound is muted when you install. I use KDE so I had
>> to unmute with Kmix and alsamixer to get mine working.
>>
>> If it doesn't show a driver in use, then you have to either build a
>> module or a new kernel if you want it built in. In that case, let us
>> know what kind of sound card you have. The output from lspci would be
>> great.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> Here is lshw info
>
> *-multimedia
> product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
> vendor: Intel Corporation
> physical id: 1b
> bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
> version: 02
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel
>

> and lspci
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>
> I did built the sound support into the kernel.
>
> I run a lean gentoo install; no desktop; only a window manager
> (windowmaker). Nothing related to alsa is installed. I installed adobe's
> flash player plugin which ended up in ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> When I play a flash video I don't see an option for turning on audio.
>
> Thanks,

Looks like you've got it installed properly... have you unmuted the
sound? AFAIK alsa mutes everything by default. Run alsamixer and play
a video with sound and adjust them until you hear something.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Dale

Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>
>> Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would appreciate some guidance in getting sound working such that I
>>> can listen to an adobe flash video. I am using firefox (have the adobe
>>> flash plugin installed which plays video but no sound) and a pretty
>>> updated gentoo laptop.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Valmor
>>>
>>> PS: never tried to get sound working.
>>>

>> Try lspci -v and see if the sounds card is using a driver. If it is,
>> then the kernel is working and it is recognizing the sound card. This
>> is what mine looks like:
>>

>> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
>> Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 eMicro 28028
>> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
>> I/O ports at b000 [size=32]
>> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
>> Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
>>

>> The last line is what you look for. If you see something like that then
>> it could be as simple as the sound is muted. I have no idea why but as
>> a general rule, the sound is muted when you install. I use KDE so I had
>> to unmute with Kmix and alsamixer to get mine working.
>>
>> If it doesn't show a driver in use, then you have to either build a
>> module or a new kernel if you want it built in. In that case, let us
>> know what kind of sound card you have. The output from lspci would be
>> great.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> Here is lshw info
>
> *-multimedia
> product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
> vendor: Intel Corporation
> physical id: 1b
> bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
> version: 02
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel
>

> and lspci
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>
> I did built the sound support into the kernel.
>
> I run a lean gentoo install; no desktop; only a window manager
> (windowmaker). Nothing related to alsa is installed. I installed adobe's
> flash player plugin which ended up in ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> When I play a flash video I don't see an option for turning on audio.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor

At least you are past the kernel part and know the hardware should be
working. I had to install alsamixergui to unmute mine. Since I have a
somewhat bloated install, I'm not sure how you would unmute yours. You
may have to install some kind of alsa to do that. I'm not really sure
in this situation.

Here is a link about alsa:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-intel8x0

I read in there that cards are muted by default. It says it this way:
"Now adjust your soundcard's volume levels. All mixer channels are muted
by default. You must use a native mixer program to unmute appropriate
channels, for example alsamixer from the alsa-utils package." I would
do a emerge -p alsa-utils and just see if it is going to try to install
the kitchen sink or just it and perhaps a couple others that you can
live with.

That help?

Dale

:-) :-)