Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Grant

Default VGA output?

How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? My system
functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. Do I need to create
one if I want VGA output?

- Grant

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Grant

> How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? *My system
> functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. *Do I need to create
> one if I want VGA output?
>
> - Grant

Actually it works great after a reboot. Is there a better method for
switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?

- Grant

Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? My system
functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. Do I need to create
one if I want VGA output?

- Grant

Actually it works great after a reboot. Is there a better method for
switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?

Might be a shot in the dark, but try krandrtray (it's a KDE app though.)
You should get something like this:

http://i36.tinypic.com/a1rgqu.png

I don't have a second monitor to connect so I can't try, but perhaps it
will allow you to enable output to it once you connect it.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
James Ausmus

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? *My system

> functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. *Do I need to create

> one if I want VGA output?

> - Grant

Actually it works great after a reboot. *Is there a better method for

switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?

Depending on the driver you are dealing with, regular old xrandr from the command-line should do the trick (or a wrapper app like krandrtray that Nikos suggested)

*HTH-

James (A)*

Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 11/04/2009 07:47 PM, Grant wrote:
>>>
>>> How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? *My system
>>> functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. *Do I need to create
>>> one if I want VGA output?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> Actually it works great after a reboot. *Is there a better method for
>> switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?
>
> Might be a shot in the dark, but try krandrtray (it's a KDE app though.)
> *You should get something like this:
>
> *http://i36.tinypic.com/a1rgqu.png
>
> I don't have a second monitor to connect so I can't try, but perhaps it will
> allow you to enable output to it once you connect it.

lxrandr is a bit lighter, standalone capable, but part of the lxde
desktop "suite". Their wiki page for it:

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXRandr

Odd timing to run across the question, too, since I just realized I'd
missed that one on my laptop build here.

[ebuild N ] lxde-base/lxrandr-0.1.1 193 kB

And if you get an error:
"Unable to get monitor information!"

Rebuild xrandr. Found that answer in the forum thread below:
http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=639

Of course, if you're one for more power over simplicity of use, xrandr
itself is more than capable, the rest are just frontends, really.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Valmor de Almeida

James Ausmus wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com
> <mailto:emailgrant@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? My system
> > functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. Do I need to create
> > one if I want VGA output?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> Actually it works great after a reboot. Is there a better method for
> switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?
>

> Depending on the driver you are dealing with, regular old xrandr from
> the command-line should do the trick (or a wrapper app like krandrtray
> that Nikos suggested)
>
> HTH-
>
> James (A)

I use xrandr and do have an xorg.conf; some info I used in the past

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2

Typically I use my laptop on a port replicator attached to a VGA.

I use windowmaker; after a switch from laptop monitor to vga or
vice-versa, I need to restart wm; all through the command-line.

--
Valmor

Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Grant

>> * * > How are you guys getting your laptops to do VGA output? *My system
>> * * > functions fine without an xorg.conf right now. *Do I need to create
>> * * > one if I want VGA output?
>> * * >
>> * * > - Grant
>>
>> * * Actually it works great after a reboot. *Is there a better method for
>> * * switching VGA output on and off than plug/unplug + reboot?
>>

>> Depending on the driver you are dealing with, regular old xrandr from
>> the command-line should do the trick (or a wrapper app like krandrtray
>> that Nikos suggested)
>>
>> HTH-
>>
>> James (A) *
>
> I use xrandr and do have an xorg.conf; some info I used in the past
>

> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
>
> Typically I use my laptop on a port replicator attached to a VGA.
>
> I use windowmaker; after a switch from laptop monitor to vga or
> vice-versa, I need to restart wm; all through the command-line.
>
> --
> Valmor

Thanks everyone. Do these apps allow you to connect and disconnect a
monitor without restarting X? I'm not sure how that would work
because my laptop screen's aspect ratio is resized based on that of
the monitor.

- Grant

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Grant

> ...[snip]...
>>
>> Thanks everyone. *Do these apps allow you to connect and disconnect a
>> monitor without restarting X? *I'm not sure how that would work
>> because my laptop screen's aspect ratio is resized based on that of
>> the monitor.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Yes. Typically I have aliased commands for xrandr. If I am using the VGA
> and I want to undock the laptop and use its LCD, I run my turnoffvga alias:
>
> *xrandr --output VGA --off
>
> undock the laptop and restart windowmaker (not the X server); just a
> simple ALT+R key stroke for wm; this does not mess up running X apps. I
> restart the window manager so my desktop background are resized to the
> size of the laptop LCD monitor. I use xrandr extensively to reset, turn
> on and off VGA/LCD whether I have the laptop docked or not. All without
> restarting the X server; it also works with digital projectors.
>
> For resetting the VGA:
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --pos 0x0
>
> or for a resetting both monitors (bash function)
>
> EXTERNAL_OUTPUT="VGA"
> INTERNAL_OUTPUT="LVDS1"
> INTERNAL_LOCATION="--below $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT"
>
> xrandr |grep $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT | grep " connected "
> if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
> * *xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto
> * *xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto
> * *xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT $INTERNAL_LOCATION
> else
> * *xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --off
> * *xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto
> fi
>

> --
> Valmor

Thanks Valmor, good stuff.