Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Stroller

Default fsck date problem during boot

On 4 Nov 2009, at 15:45, Harry Putnam wrote:

Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).

The first thing I would want to check is the motherboard battery. Is
the time correct if you reboot and immediately enter BIOS?

Stroller.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Harry Putnam

Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> On 4 Nov 2009, at 15:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
>> fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).
>
> The first thing I would want to check is the motherboard battery. Is
> the time correct if you reboot and immediately enter BIOS?

That was a pretty good help but apparently not all the story.

When I checked bios, the clock was exactly 1 hr fast (didn't pick up
the end of daylight saving time I guess).

Reset the clock and tested with 2 more reboots, each time mounting
/boot and fiddling around with files.

Each time the same failure occurs. I check bios time again. Its
right.

Here is the (edited) output form fsck

Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:05:13 2009,
now = Wed Nov 4 12:11:49 2009) is in the future.
Fix<y>? yes

[...]
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:14:54 2009,
now = Wed Nov 4 12:18:01 2009) is in the future.
Fix<y>? yes

[...]

so still somehow, those last mount dates are way wrong.

I hope I'm checking the right thing in bios. Its under cmos and shows
the time ticking away. You can adjust all columns. with +/-.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
walt

On 11/04/2009 10:43 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On 4 Nov 2009, at 15:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
>>> fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).
>>
>> The first thing I would want to check is the motherboard battery. Is
>> the time correct if you reboot and immediately enter BIOS?
>
> That was a pretty good help but apparently not all the story.
>
> When I checked bios, the clock was exactly 1 hr fast (didn't pick up
> the end of daylight saving time I guess).
>
> Reset the clock and tested with 2 more reboots, each time mounting
> /boot and fiddling around with files.
>
> Each time the same failure occurs. I check bios time again. Its
> right.
>
> Here is the (edited) output form fsck
>
> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:05:13 2009,
> now = Wed Nov 4 12:11:49 2009) is in the future.
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> [...]
> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:14:54 2009,
> now = Wed Nov 4 12:18:01 2009) is in the future.
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> [...]
>
> so still somehow, those last mount dates are way wrong.
>
> I hope I'm checking the right thing in bios. Its under cmos and shows
> the time ticking away. You can adjust all columns. with +/-.

Is your bios clock set to UTC, and do you have /etc/localtime pointing to
your correct timezone? e.g. /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/PST8PDT.

If all that is correct, then I'm guessing the problem will fix itself
if you just wait an hour )

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Dale

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
>

>> On 4 Nov 2009, at 15:45, Harry Putnam wrote:

>>> Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
>>> fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).
>>>
>> The first thing I would want to check is the motherboard battery. Is
>> the time correct if you reboot and immediately enter BIOS?
>>

> That was a pretty good help but apparently not all the story.
>
> When I checked bios, the clock was exactly 1 hr fast (didn't pick up
> the end of daylight saving time I guess).
>
> Reset the clock and tested with 2 more reboots, each time mounting
> /boot and fiddling around with files.
>
> Each time the same failure occurs. I check bios time again. Its
> right.
>
> Here is the (edited) output form fsck
>
> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:05:13 2009,
> now = Wed Nov 4 12:11:49 2009) is in the future.
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> [...]
> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:14:54 2009,
> now = Wed Nov 4 12:18:01 2009) is in the future.
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> [...]
>
> so still somehow, those last mount dates are way wrong.
>
> I hope I'm checking the right thing in bios. Its under cmos and shows
> the time ticking away. You can adjust all columns. with +/-.

I can't recall exactly how I did this but there is a command to tell the
OS to set the clock on the mobo to the system time when shutting down.
That way everything should sync up when you reboot, except for that tiny
little bit if you shutdown completely for a few days or something. The
command is hwclock. I can't recall where I put the thing because I am
logged into KDE 4 and I can't find nothing in here yet. It's pretty but
it is different so I'm lost.

I *think* I put it in the rc file or something. I remember the file is
run during shutdown tho. That may help if you know which file that is.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Chris Reffett

Dale wrote:

Harry Putnam wrote:

[...]

It's in /etc/conf.d/clock (or /etc/conf.d/hwclock for baselayout
2/openrc), and it's called CLOCK_SYSTOHC. Set it to yes to write the
system time to hardware on shutdown.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Daniel Solano Gomez

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 06:20:25PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> I can't recall exactly how I did this but there is a command to tell the
> OS to set the clock on the mobo to the system time when shutting down.
> That way everything should sync up when you reboot, except for that tiny
> little bit if you shutdown completely for a few days or something. The
> command is hwclock. I can't recall where I put the thing because I am
> logged into KDE 4 and I can't find nothing in here yet. It's pretty but
> it is different so I'm lost.
>
> I *think* I put it in the rc file or something. I remember the file is
> run during shutdown tho. That may help if you know which file that is.

I believe you are talking about the 'clock_systohc' setting in
'/etc/conf.d/hwclock'.

If none of these things help, you could always try disabling time-based
forced checks using tune2fs's option '-i 0d'. You can read the man page
for how to do it.

Sincerely,

Daniel Solano Gómez

Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Dale

Chris Reffett wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Harry Putnam wrote:

>>> That was a pretty good help but apparently not all the story.
>>>
>>> When I checked bios, the clock was exactly 1 hr fast (didn't pick up
>>> the end of daylight saving time I guess).
>>>
>>> Reset the clock and tested with 2 more reboots, each time mounting
>>> /boot and fiddling around with files.
>>>
>>> Each time the same failure occurs. I check bios time again. Its
>>> right.
>>>
>>> Here is the (edited) output form fsck
>>>
>>> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:05:13 2009,
>>> now = Wed Nov 4 12:11:49 2009) is in the future.
>>> Fix<y>? yes
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
>>> Superblock last mount time (Wed Nov 4 18:14:54 2009,
>>> now = Wed Nov 4 12:18:01 2009) is in the future.
>>> Fix<y>? yes
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> so still somehow, those last mount dates are way wrong.
>>>
>>> I hope I'm checking the right thing in bios. Its under cmos and shows
>>> the time ticking away. You can adjust all columns. with +/-.
>>>

>> I can't recall exactly how I did this but there is a command to tell the
>> OS to set the clock on the mobo to the system time when shutting down.
>> That way everything should sync up when you reboot, except for that tiny
>> little bit if you shutdown completely for a few days or something. The
>> command is hwclock. I can't recall where I put the thing because I am
>> logged into KDE 4 and I can't find nothing in here yet. It's pretty but
>> it is different so I'm lost.
>>
>> I *think* I put it in the rc file or something. I remember the file is
>> run during shutdown tho. That may help if you know which file that is.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> It's in /etc/conf.d/clock (or /etc/conf.d/hwclock for baselayout
> 2/openrc), and it's called CLOCK_SYSTOHC. Set it to yes to write the
> system time to hardware on shutdown.

I think I did it the hard way then. I put the command in a file
somewhere that runs during shutdown.

More than one way to skin a cat a guess.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 15:45:19 Harry Putnam wrote:

> Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
> fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).

On my box I have both a standard amd64 system with kde-3.5 and a test system
all ~amd64 with kde-4. If I boot into the standard system, then shut it down
and boot into the test system within an hour of having started the standard
system I get the same "in the future" error on every partition.

The standard system has baselayout-1 and the test system has baselayout-2; I
think there's some problem between these two.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:22:04 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On my box I have both a standard amd64 system with kde-3.5 and a test
> system all ~amd64 with kde-4. If I boot into the standard system, then
> shut it down and boot into the test system within an hour of having
> started the standard system I get the same "in the future" error on
> every partition.

Have you checked the timezone settings in the two KDEs?

--
Neil Bothwick

Joystick: (n.) a device essential for performing business tasks and
training exercises esp. favored by pilots, tank commanders, riverboat
gamblers, and medieval warlords.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Harry Putnam

walt <w41ter@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Is your bios clock set to UTC, and do you have /etc/localtime pointing to

Haa.. there it is. Yes to UTC. But that must have been the case all along
and this just started recently. So, as others have pointed out in the
thread, it must be related to the base-1/base-2 changes.

> your correct timezone? e.g. /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/PST8PDT.

Local time zone is correct (chicago)

Next time I reboot, I'll check to see if I can change the UTC in bios,
but I don't think I saw such an option when I looked there yesterday.
I wasn't looking for that either though.

But I'm guessing the setting in /etc/conf.d/hwclock to set the
hardware to system at shutdown will fix this, long as I'm not shutdown
very long. I think the setting holds a while.

I'll test it by setting it with `hwclock --set' and see how long it takes to
return to the utc time.