Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Harry Putnam

Default fsck date problem during boot

Just a note in case other have gotten the idea to set
/etc/conf.d/hwclock to clock_systohc="yes"

You might want to read some of the hwclock manpage, particularly the
section:
Automatic Hardware Clock Synchronization By the Kernel

Where it warns not to use that setting in some cases:

If your system runs with 11 minute mode on, don't use hwclock
--adjust or hwclock --hctosys. You'll just make a mess. It is
acceptable to use a hwclock --hctosys at startup time to get a
reasonable System Time until your system is able to set the System
Time from the external source and start 11 minute mode.

The 11 minute mode referred to is when the kernel is setting the
hardware clock every 11 minutes

Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 05 November 2009 13:26:48 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:22:04 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On my box I have both a standard amd64 system with kde-3.5 and a test
> > system all ~amd64 with kde-4. If I boot into the standard system, then
> > shut it down and boot into the test system within an hour of having
> > started the standard system I get the same "in the future" error on
> > every partition.
>
> Have you checked the timezone settings in the two KDEs?

I have systohc=yes in both (ignoring the case difference between baselayout
versions) and I have clock=local in both (because there's a rarely used Win
XP partition as well). The baselayout-1 system has TIMEZONE= (i.e.empty) but
I can't see where to set the time zone in the baselayout-2 system.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 6 Nov, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2009 13:26:48 Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:22:04 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> > On my box I have both a standard amd64 system with kde-3.5 and a test
>> > system all ~amd64 with kde-4. If I boot into the standard system, then
>> > shut it down and boot into the test system within an hour of having
>> > started the standard system I get the same "in the future" error on
>> > every partition.
>>
>> Have you checked the timezone settings in the two KDEs?
>
> I have systohc=yes in both (ignoring the case difference between baselayout
> versions) and I have clock=local in both (because there's a rarely used Win
> XP partition as well). The baselayout-1 system has TIMEZONE= (i.e.empty) but
> I can't see where to set the time zone in the baselayout-2 system.

e.g.
echo "Europe/Berlin" >/etc/timezone
works here just fine (baselayout-2.0.1)

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

2009/11/6 Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org>:

>> Have you checked the timezone settings in the two KDEs?
>
> I have systohc=yes in both (ignoring the case difference between baselayout
> versions) and I have clock=local in both (because there's a rarely used Win
> XP partition as well). The baselayout-1 system has TIMEZONE= (i.e.empty) but
> I can't see where to set the time zone in the baselayout-2 system.

With baselayout-2 and openrc. Just set your timezone in /etc/timezone.
For baselayout-2 and openrc there is an upgrade guide [1] which covers
this.
With baselayout-1 edit /etc/conf.d/clock and set the TIMEZONE variable.

This ensures that /etc/localtime is set accordingly after updates of
sys-libs/timezone-data.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

--
Daniel Pielmeier