Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Sound card drivers must be modules?

On 11/04/2009 06:48 PM, Grant wrote:

I'm trying to configure my laptop's internal sound card and external
USB sound card. I have /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

and restarting alsasound I get:

WARNING: Module snd_hda_intel not found.
WARNING: Module snd_usb_audio not found.

Do I have to compile both drivers as modules in order to use them both?

For the built-in chip, no.

For the USB card, not if you have it plugged in at boot time. But
better build this one as a module since USB devices can be plugged in
and out at random.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Grant

>> I'm trying to configure my laptop's internal sound card and external
>> USB sound card. *I have /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf:
>>
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=0
>>
>> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
>> options snd-usb-audio index=1
>>
>> and restarting alsasound I get:
>>
>> WARNING: Module snd_hda_intel not found.
>> WARNING: Module snd_usb_audio not found.
>>
>> Do I have to compile both drivers as modules in order to use them both?
>
> For the built-in chip, no.

But I get the warning about "Module snd_hda_intel not found" which is
the built-in chip.

- Grant

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:25:21 -0800, Grant wrote:

> But I get the warning about "Module snd_hda_intel not found" which is
> the built-in chip.

That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.

--
Neil Bothwick

until you hear them speak.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Grant

>> But I get the warning about "Module snd_hda_intel not found" which is
>> the built-in chip.
>
> That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
> This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.

OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
lines in alsa.conf? If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
to. How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
the kernel?

- Grant

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
walt

On 11/04/2009 09:30 AM, Grant wrote:
>>> But I get the warning about "Module snd_hda_intel not found" which is
>>> the built-in chip.
>>
>> That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
>> This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.
>
> OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
> lines in alsa.conf? If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
> to. How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
> the kernel?

This is from /etc/conf.d/alsasound:

# LOAD_ON_START:
# Do you want to load sound modules when alsasound starts?
# Note: The Gentoo ALSA developers encourage you to build your sound
# drivers into the kernel unless the device is hotpluggable or
# you need to supply specific options (such as model= to HD-Audio).
# no - Do not load modules
# yes - Load modules
LOAD_ON_START="yes"

I've never had a hot-pluggable sound card, so I can only guess whether
hald would somehow load that sound module for you.

So say LOAD_ON_START="no", compile the on-board sound driver into the
kernel and do the other one as a module -- and let us know if it works
when you plug it in )

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But I get the warning about "Module snd_hda_intel not found" which is
>>> the built-in chip.
>>
>> That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
>> This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.
>
> OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
> lines in alsa.conf? *If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
> to. *How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
> the kernel?

You pass the parameters in the kernel boot line. For examen, in my
grub.conf I have:

title Gentoo Linux (linux-2.6.31.5)
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.31.5 root=/dev/sda4 quiet udev
splash=silent,fadein,theme:natural_gentoo CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
iwlagn.swcrypto=1 snd-hda-intel.model=basic
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.31.5

I have two parameters for my built-in modules: for the iwlagn module,
the parameter swcrypto=1, and for the snd-hda-intel the parameter
model= basic. In general, for a built-in module called "module", you
pass the parameter "parm" with value "val" this way:

module.parm=val

As of now, in my laptop I have *all* my modules built-in. In other
machines, I have modules where there is no other option (like nvidia
drivers, LIRC, ndiswrapper, stuff like that).

Good luck.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 20:02:03 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> >> That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
> >> This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.
> >
> > OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
> > lines in alsa.conf? If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
> > to. How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
> > the kernel?
>
> You pass the parameters in the kernel boot line. For examen, in my
> grub.conf I have:
>
> title Gentoo Linux (linux-2.6.31.5)
> root (hd0,3)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.31.5 root=/dev/sda4 quiet udev
> splash=silent,fadein,theme:natural_gentoo CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
> iwlagn.swcrypto=1 snd-hda-intel.model=basic
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.31.5
>
> I have two parameters for my built-in modules: for the iwlagn module,
> the parameter swcrypto=1, and for the snd-hda-intel the parameter
> model= basic. In general, for a built-in module called "module", you
> pass the parameter "parm" with value "val" this way:
>
> module.parm=val
>
> As of now, in my laptop I have *all* my modules built-in. In other
> machines, I have modules where there is no other option (like nvidia
> drivers, LIRC, ndiswrapper, stuff like that).

I used to have my alsa drivers which are different to the OP, built in the
kernel. For years on end. Then alsasound stop working - something like 5
kernels back, can't recall exactly. I had to build alsa separately as
modules. Haven't tried to go back to building them in the kernel again.

YMMV.
Mick

Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Grant

>>> That's because you don't have that module, it's built into the kernel.
>>> This also means the the options lines in alsa.conf will not do anything.
>>
>> OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
>> lines in alsa.conf? *If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
>> to. *How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
>> the kernel?
>
> This is from /etc/conf.d/alsasound:
>
> # LOAD_ON_START:
> # Do you want to load sound modules when alsasound starts?
> # Note: The Gentoo ALSA developers encourage you to build your sound
> # * * * drivers into the kernel unless the device is hotpluggable or
> # * * * you need to supply specific options (such as model= to HD-Audio).
> # no - Do not load modules
> # yes - Load modules
> LOAD_ON_START="yes"
>
> I've never had a hot-pluggable sound card, so I can only guess whether
> hald would somehow load that sound module for you.
>
> So say LOAD_ON_START="no", compile the on-board sound driver into the
> kernel and do the other one as a module -- and let us know if it works
> when you plug it in )

Thanks, I will try that right away. Is it necessary for me to keep
the USB sound driver as a module since it could be plugged in or not?
I can't build that one in too?

- Grant

Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...[snip]...
>>
>> As of now, in my laptop I have *all* my modules built-in. In other
>> machines, I have modules where there is no other option (like nvidia
>> drivers, LIRC, ndiswrapper, stuff like that).
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> Just curious. Are you able to play an adobe flash video with audio using
> *a flash firefox plugin? (if you have it installed by any chance).

Indeed I am able. Not only that; I also have PulseAudio running (and
loving it) in all my machines. Flash, MPlayer and all the GStreamer
applications work without a hitch.

Also, in my laptop (amd64 with Intel Core2 Duo) I don't have any
emul-linux-* package; both Firefox and the Flash plugin (I use
www-plugins/adobe-flash) are the 64bit versions.

Regards.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK, so I need to build them as modules, or I need to change those
>>> lines in alsa.conf? *If I can avoid building them as modules I'd like
>>> to. *How can those lines be written when the drivers are built into
>>> the kernel?
>>
>> This is from /etc/conf.d/alsasound:
>>
>> # LOAD_ON_START:
>> # Do you want to load sound modules when alsasound starts?
>> # Note: The Gentoo ALSA developers encourage you to build your sound
>> # * * * drivers into the kernel unless the device is hotpluggable or
>> # * * * you need to supply specific options (such as model= to HD-Audio).
>> # no - Do not load modules
>> # yes - Load modules
>> LOAD_ON_START="yes"
>>
>> I've never had a hot-pluggable sound card, so I can only guess whether
>> hald would somehow load that sound module for you.
>>
>> So say LOAD_ON_START="no", compile the on-board sound driver into the
>> kernel and do the other one as a module -- and let us know if it works
>> when you plug it in )
>
> Thanks, I will try that right away. *Is it necessary for me to keep
> the USB sound driver as a module since it could be plugged in or not?
> I can't build that one in too?

Of course you can. If the module is not being used (i.e., the USB card
is not connected), it barely uses resources. In my desktop I have the
gspca webcam module built-in, even if my webcam is not connected all
the time. The same thing with things like USB gamepads.

Regards.