Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
KH

Default What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure?

waltdnes@waltdnes.org schrieb:

What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure? The stuff I've
found on Google and the Gentoo wiki references obsolete versions of
Gentoo, and I don't know if it would work. I've got an Acer Aspire One,
with no CD/DVD.

Hi,

This might be what you have been looking for.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

kh

Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 05:49:12 -0500, waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:

> What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure?

Put System Rescue CD on a USB stick, boot from it, follow the handbook.

--
Neil Bothwick

RISC: Reduced Into Silly Code

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Philip Webb

091104 waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:
> What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure ?
> The stuff I've found on Google and the Gentoo wiki
> references obsolete versions of Gentoo and I don't know if it would work.
> I've got an Acer Aspire One with no CD/DVD.

I'm in the midst of doing it on an ASUS 1005HA without an I/net connection;
I've got as far as booting with a defective kernel from Lilo
& should have it working tomorrow (the SCSI configuration is wrong).
'unetbootin' is the best way to write what you need on the USB stick;
System Rescue is good, but lacks ADSL support;
the Gentoo Minimal Install ISO has worked well for me.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:57:15AM +0100, KH wrote

> This might be what you have been looking for.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

That was one of the items I saw. A couple of questions...

1) Will the old 2007.0 ISO still work?

2) Is it *REALLY* necessary to download a 700 meg (*COMPRESSED*) full-
blown system with pointy-clicky-touchie-feelie-oowee-GUI to do a
commandline install that could normally be done by a minimal install
image a fraction of that size?

What I'd like to do is put the minimal install image on a USB key and
boot from that.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Crístian Viana

1) Will the old 2007.0 ISO still work?
I'm not sure, but probably yes. but it's better if you download the latest ISO

2) Is it *REALLY* necessary to download a 700 meg (*COMPRESSED*) full-

**blown system with pointy-clicky-touchie-feelie-oowee-GUI to do a

**commandline install that could normally be done by a minimal install

**image a fraction of that size?
no. you can download the file "install-<arch>-minimal-<date>.iso" from one of Gentoo mirrors. it's a little more than 100 MiB.

use unetbootin to "copy" the ISO to your USB key and boot your computer with it. and follow the handbook as if you were installing Gentoo from the CD.
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:57:15AM +0100, KH wrote

> This might be what you have been looking for.

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

*That was one of the items I saw. *A couple of questions...

1) Will the old 2007.0 ISO still work?

2) Is it *REALLY* necessary to download a 700 meg (*COMPRESSED*) full-

* blown system with pointy-clicky-touchie-feelie-oowee-GUI to do a

* commandline install that could normally be done by a minimal install

* image a fraction of that size?

*What I'd like to do is put the minimal install image on a USB key and

boot from that.

--

Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

--
Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil

Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 05:49 -0500, waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:
> What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure? The stuff I've
> found on Google and the Gentoo wiki references obsolete versions of
> Gentoo, and I don't know if it would work. I've got an Acer Aspire One,
> with no CD/DVD.

I've always used RipLinuX on a USB stick.

Also there's no rule that says you *must* use Gentoo media to install
Gentoo. It's there for convenience, but if it's not convenient for you
then you can always choose something else

Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:06:58AM -0200, Cr??stian Viana wrote

> no. you can download the file "install-<arch>-minimal-<date>.iso"
> from one of Gentoo mirrors. it's a little more than 100 MiB.
>
> use unetbootin to "copy" the ISO to your USB key and boot your
> computer with it. and follow the handbook as if you were installing
> Gentoo from the CD.

Thanks. Unfortunately, neither netbootin's default Gentoo 2008.0 nor
the latest weekly minimal install boot image could see the hard drive.
"fdisk -l" only shows the USB key (/dev/sda). No /dev/sdb or /hd?. The
latest weekly works with the Realtek ethernet chip, unlike the 2008.0
version.

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> > 2) Is it *REALLY* necessary to download a 700 meg (*COMPRESSED*)
> > full-blown system with pointy-clicky-touchie-feelie-oowee-GUI to
> > do a commandline install that could normally be done by a minimal
> > install image a fraction of that size?

Unfortunately, the answer is "YES". Knoppix Live sees the hard drive
just fine. I'll boot it, and do the install. Hopefully, I can get the
hard drive working.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 07:10:48AM -0500, Philip Webb wrote

> I'm in the midst of doing it on an ASUS 1005HA without an I/net connection;
> I've got as far as booting with a defective kernel from Lilo
> & should have it working tomorrow (the SCSI configuration is wrong).
> 'unetbootin' is the best way to write what you need on the USB stick;
> System Rescue is good, but lacks ADSL support;
> the Gentoo Minimal Install ISO has worked well for me.

Unfortunately, it can't find the hard drive on my machine. But
Knoppix can. So I'll follow the install-under-Knoppix instructions at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml and hope to figure out the
hard drive.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 05 November 2009 23:08:53 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 07:10:48AM -0500, Philip Webb wrote
>
> > I'm in the midst of doing it on an ASUS 1005HA without an I/net
> > connection; I've got as far as booting with a defective kernel from Lilo
> > & should have it working tomorrow (the SCSI configuration is wrong).
> > 'unetbootin' is the best way to write what you need on the USB stick;
> > System Rescue is good, but lacks ADSL support;
> > the Gentoo Minimal Install ISO has worked well for me.
>
> Unfortunately, it can't find the hard drive on my machine. But
> Knoppix can. So I'll follow the install-under-Knoppix instructions at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml and hope to figure out the
> hard drive.

Not sure whether this has been mentioned already in this thread, but at one
stage of kernel development* when I was installing on a new laptop, I had to
switch AHCI off in the BIOS for the installation kernel to be able to see the
hard disk, then back on again once I was running my own kernel.

Perhaps something like this is happening to you.

* At least, the kernel as configured for the Gentoo minimal installation CD.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:32:19PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote

> Not sure whether this has been mentioned already in this thread, but
> at one stage of kernel development* when I was installing on a new
> laptop, I had to switch AHCI off in the BIOS for the installation
> kernel to be able to see the hard disk, then back on again once I
> was running my own kernel.
>
> Perhaps something like this is happening to you.
>
> * At least, the kernel as configured for the Gentoo minimal
> installation CD.

It turned out to be something quite different, namely a missing
driver; see my "Acer Aspireone AO751h install hints" thread. It's
finally up and running. I'll rebuild (emerge system and emerge world)
before I get any optional apps on it. That should speed things up a
bit.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>