Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Arnau Bria

Default hal, how to chose between nvidia and nv

Hi all,

I have no xorg.conf, so hal does all the conf stuff for me.
My problem (I think) is that I have both modules in my sytem:

[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

$ grep nv /etc/make.conf
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa nvidia"

and seems that Xorg tries some drivers and finally loads nv driver:

from less /var/log/Xorg.0.log, some relevant info:

[..]
(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0221:0000:0000 nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] rev 161, Mem
[...]

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 180.60 Tue May 12 12:42:34 PDT 2009
[...]
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
(II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
(II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.3.901, module version = 2.1.14
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.3.901, module version = 2.2.1
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
[...]
(II) NV(0): Initializing int10
(II) NV(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) NV(0): Chipset: "GeForce 6200"
(II) NV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Builtin Default nv Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
(==) NV(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NV(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[...]
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
[...]

from here all refers to NV.

Am Iworng or my xorg uses nv driver? if so, how may I force hal to use
nvidia driver? what about dri module? why is it failling to load it?

TIA,
--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Jess Guerrero

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:08:26 +0100, Arnau Bria <arnau@emergetux.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have no xorg.conf, so hal does all the conf stuff for me.
> My problem (I think) is that I have both modules in my sytem:
>

> [i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
>
> $ grep nv /etc/make.conf
> VIDEO_CARDS="vesa nvidia"
>

> and seems that Xorg tries some drivers and finally loads nv driver:
>
> from less /var/log/Xorg.0.log, some relevant info:
>
> [..]
> (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0221:0000:0000 nVidia Corporation NV44A
[GeForce
> 6200] rev 161, Mem
> [...]
>
> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 180.60 Tue May 12 12:42:34 PDT 2009
> [...]
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
> (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
> (II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
> (II) LoadModule: "nv"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
> (II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.6.3.901, module version = 2.1.14
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
> (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so
> (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.6.3.901, module version = 2.2.1
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
> (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
> (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
> [...]
> (II) NV(0): Initializing int10
> (II) NV(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> (--) NV(0): Chipset: "GeForce 6200"
> (II) NV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
> "Builtin Default nv Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
> (==) NV(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
> (==) NV(0): RGB weight 888
> (==) NV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> [...]
> (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
> found)
> [...]
>

> from here all refers to NV.
>
> Am Iworng or my xorg uses nv driver? if so, how may I force hal to use
> nvidia driver? what about dri module? why is it failling to load it?

This is only one of the reasons (only one of them) why hal in X is as
useless as it can get: if you use any driver that's not provided by the
Xorg guys then you still need an xorg.conf.

About dri, I don't think nv supports dri at all. It certainly doesn't do
any 3d.

--
Jess Guerrero

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
"Peter Haworth"

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:52:45 +0100, =?UTF-8?Q?Jes=C3=BAs_Guerrero?= wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:08:26 +0100, Arnau Bria <arnau@emergetux.net> wrote:

> > Am Iworng or my xorg uses nv driver? if so, how may I force hal to use

> > nvidia driver? what about dri module? why is it failling to load it?

> This is only one of the reasons (only one of them) why hal in X is as

> useless as it can get: if you use any driver that's not provided by the

> Xorg guys then you still need an xorg.conf.

True, but it doesn't need much in it. I'm not generally a hal apologist,

but I'm quite happy with this as my entire xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Device0"

Driver "nvidia"

VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

EndSection

--

Peter Haworth pmh@edison.ioppublishing.com

"It's about time we got some GUI sugar to add to the bitter black hotness

of our terminal windows. I like my terminals like my women:

VT100 compatible with Tektronix extensions"

-- NTK 2004-09-17

This email (and attachments) are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender, delete any copies and do not take action in reliance on it. Any views expressed are the author's and do not represent those of IOP, except where specifically stated. IOP takes reasonable precautions to protect against viruses but accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from virus infection. For the protection of IOP's systems and staff emails are scanned automatically.”*

Institute of Physics*Registered in England under Registration No*293851*

Registered Office:**76/78 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Arnau Bria

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:17:15 +0000
Peter Haworth wrote:

[...]
> > This is only one of the reasons (only one of them) why hal in X is
> > as useless as it can get: if you use any driver that's not provided
> > by the Xorg guys then you still need an xorg.conf.

> True, but it doesn't need much in it. I'm not generally a hal
> apologist, but I'm quite happy with this as my entire xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Device0"
> Driver "nvidia"
> VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> EndSection
Will try eth this.

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Dale

Arnau Bria wrote:

> or try xorg with no hal support.
>
> Thanks for your replies!

I can tell you that using xorg without hal works. I gave up on hal a
while back. If you want to know how to get rid of hal support, just let
us know or search the archives.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Alex Schuster

Arnau Bria writes:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:17:15 +0000 Peter Haworth wrote:

> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Device0"
> > Driver "nvidia"
> > VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> > EndSection
>
> tried with only that section, it hangs and had to reboot....

Did you try the being-mentioned-here-quite-often-these-days-of-X-trouble
trick of Alt-SysRq-R, followed by Ctrl-Alt-F1?

> So, I'll stay with nv.... or try xorg with no hal support.

I have hal support in it, but also still keyboard and mouse sections in
xorg.conf. I also have
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
in the ServerLayout section to make them still work. so I can easier
switch between using and not using HAL for devices than by re-compiling
with changes USE flags.

Wonko

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Arnau Bria

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:34:06 -0600
Dale Dale wrote:

> I can tell you that using xorg without hal works. I gave up on hal a
> while back. If you want to know how to get rid of hal support, just
> let us know or search the archives.
Well, I did a quick serach with [xorg without hal] or no hal support
and other and got many results...

do you remember subject on that threat? any link to a guide?

> Dale
Thanks Dale!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Arnau Bria

> > tried with only that section, it hangs and had to reboot....
>
> Did you try the
> being-mentioned-here-quite-often-these-days-of-X-trouble trick of
> Alt-SysRq-R, followed by Ctrl-Alt-F1?
nop, did not remeber key combination, but I don't care if I have to
reboot, not the issue in this topic.

> I have hal support in it, but also still keyboard and mouse sections
> in xorg.conf. I also have
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
> in the ServerLayout section to make them still work. so I can easier
> switch between using and not using HAL for devices than by
> re-compiling with changes USE flags.
Ok, but if I have to add input section and nvidia section, what profit
do I take from hal? I prefer having my weel know xorg file :-)

> Wonko
thanks for your reply,
Arnau

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Alex Schuster

Arnau Bria writes:

> > I have hal support in it, but also still keyboard and mouse sections
> > in xorg.conf. I also have
> > Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
> > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
> > in the ServerLayout section to make them still work. so I can easier
> > switch between using and not using HAL for devices than by
> > re-compiling with changes USE flags.
>
> Ok, but if I have to add input section and nvidia section, what profit
> do I take from hal? I prefer having my weel know xorg file :-)

Probably no much, apart from having not to put -hal in package.use. Maybe
the detection of your monitor is improved. I heard that switching
resolutions with Ctrl-Alt-+/- is also faster now (seems to be true here),
but that might also be related to the new X.org, not HAL.
And it's easier to try HAL again on the fly, without having to re-build
xorg with changed USE flag. If you decide to drop it completely from
X.org, and never try again, just remove it with -hal use flag. Some day
HAL will be replaced by devicekit anyway, but that may take a while to
happen.

Wonko

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Arnau Bria

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:17:15 +0000
Peter Haworth wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:52:45 +0100, =?UTF-8?Q?Jes=C3=BAs_Guerrero?=
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:08:26 +0100, Arnau Bria <arnau@emergetux.net>
> > wrote:
> > > Am Iworng or my xorg uses nv driver? if so, how may I force hal
> > > to use nvidia driver? what about dri module? why is it failling
> > > to load it?
> >
> > This is only one of the reasons (only one of them) why hal in X is
> > as useless as it can get: if you use any driver that's not provided
> > by the Xorg guys then you still need an xorg.conf.
>
> True, but it doesn't need much in it. I'm not generally a hal
> apologist, but I'm quite happy with this as my entire xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Device0"
> Driver "nvidia"
> VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> EndSection
tried with only that section, it hangs and had to reboot.... X was
really slow and log showed errors like:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 7, 0x8000, 0x0000d384, 0x0000d384)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 7, 0x8000, 0x0000d3a8, 0x0000d3a8)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 7, 0x8000, 0x0000d3cc, 0x0000d3cc)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 7, 0x8000, 0x0000d3f0, 0x0000d3f0)