Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default mounting /var prior to invocation of /sbin/rc

Hi.
I've a setup where /var resides on a separate partition than root. After
boot, I see that /var is created on root and some files are written to
it. E.G, the following folders are created:

/var/lib/init.d/snapshot
/var/lib/init.d/options
/var/lib/init.d/daemons
/var/lib/init.d/started
/var/lib/init.d/starting
/var/lib/init.d/inactive
/var/lib/init.d/wasinactive
/var/lib/init.d/stopping
/var/lib/init.d/exclusive
/var/lib/init.d/exitcodes
/var/lib/init.d/scheduled
/var/lib/init.d/coldplugged
/var/lib/init.d/softscripts

I'm suspecting that /sbin/rc is writing to /var prior to the mounting of
the respective partition. Am I correct?

Is there some commonly-used place in gentoo for specifying partitions
that have to be mounted prior to writing a/m files?

10x,
Amit