Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Default sys-libs/db & dev-lang/php dependency problem...

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 06:56:17PM +0200, Jarry wrote:

> # emerge --depclean

<...>

> * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
> * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
> * packages that pulled them in.
> *
> * sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p4 pulled in by:
> * dev-lang/php-5.2.10
> *

"depclean" says it won't clean the db package because of a php
dependency. I _guess_ it comes from the "berkdb" use flag of php.

> I repeated it a few times, still the same. So what can I do more
> to fix it?

I you're sure you don't need db, you could try to remove it by hand and
see if 'emerge php' want reinstall it. I think you should use quickpkg
or demerge before everything else.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 09:54:07 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 06:56:17PM +0200, Jarry wrote:
> > # emerge --depclean
>
> <...>
>
> > * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
> > * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
> > * packages that pulled them in.
> > *
> > * sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p4 pulled in by:
> > * dev-lang/php-5.2.10
> > *
>
> "depclean" says it won't clean the db package because of a php
> dependency. I _guess_ it comes from the "berkdb" use flag of php.
>
> > I repeated it a few times, still the same. So what can I do more
> > to fix it?
>
> I you're sure you don't need db, you could try to remove it by hand and
> see if 'emerge php' want reinstall it. I think you should use quickpkg
> or demerge before everything else.

I have a similar recurring problem and simply rebuilding packages does not
help. In my case it's caused by a package linking to a library which is not in
DEPEND. (Yes, this has broken policy on how to do these things). The result is
that the portage dependency tree says the library can be removed, but ldd says
otherwise. Sometimes you have to put the library in world

If you run ldd on the php binaries, what do you can with regard to db?
db is also slotted, what does "eix -e db" say?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Alex Schuster

Jarry writes:

> # emerge --depclean
[...]
> * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
> * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
> * packages that pulled them in.
> *
> * sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p4 pulled in by:
> * dev-lang/php-5.2.10
> *
[...]
> Then I tried "emerge --oneshot dev-lang/php" (once in the past
> I had such a problem and this helped) and after that I repeated
> "emerge --depclean", again with the same output-message.
> I repeated it a few times, still the same. So what can I do more
> to fix it?

I just posted a message ("emerge --depclean does not remove due to link
level dependencies") due to similar issues. My guess is that php links to
some sys-libs/db library, even if db is not a dependency to php. You can
try to remove db (use quickpkg before), and rebuild php.

Wonko

Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:47:41AM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:

> I just posted a message ("emerge --depclean does not remove due to link
> level dependencies") due to similar issues. My guess is that php links to
> some sys-libs/db library, even if db is not a dependency to php.

To be correct, if php links to db, db _IS_ a dependency of php. If
portage is not aware of this dependency, the _ebuild_ is wrong and miss
a declaration for this dependency.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht