Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Default Unclaimed display?

http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter#Howtointerpretlshwsoutput

> Have I got the kernel config wrong?

Maybe. Or it comes from lshw. You could look at the lspci output to
compare.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 07:29:03 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 01:29:26PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > I am looking at the lshw of a compaq desktop with pci-express and a
> > Radeon X600 and see that it's VGA and secondary dispalyes are
> > "unclaimed". What does this mean?
>
> http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter#Howtointerpretlshwsoutput
>
> > Have I got the kernel config wrong?
>
> Maybe. Or it comes from lshw. You could look at the lspci output to
> compare.

The lspci output does not show a driver either ...

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon
X600]

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600]
(Secondary)
Mick

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:23:45AM +0000, Mick wrote:

> The lspci output does not show a driver either ...

It seems the system can't find the good driver for this hardware. There
may be various reasons:
- driver not compiled/installed ;
- version of this driver failing ;
- wrong Linux kernel configuration ;
- etc.

You have to manually load/unload the drivers that you think should work
to do your own tests.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Mick

On Sunday 08 November 2009 22:00:56 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:23:45AM +0000, Mick wrote:
> > The lspci output does not show a driver either ...
>
> It seems the system can't find the good driver for this hardware. There
> may be various reasons:
> - driver not compiled/installed ;
> - version of this driver failing ;
> - wrong Linux kernel configuration ;
> - etc.
>
> You have to manually load/unload the drivers that you think should work
> to do your own tests.

It may just be a bug of sorts? I have tried loading and unloading all sort of
drivers to no avail. I get good glxgears so something must work fine. It's
just that this unclaimed/no driver thing confused me.
Mick

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:19:54PM +0000, Mick wrote:

> It may just be a bug of sorts? I have tried loading and unloading all sort of
> drivers to no avail. I get good glxgears so something must work fine. It's
> just that this unclaimed/no driver thing confused me.

Ok, I didn't understand it works. I wouldn't worry to much, then.

It's hard to tell where the problem comes from exactly (at least for me,
I don't follow the pciutils project close enough).

If you have time to spare, you can start looking at your pci.ids file
(use locate) to check if the vendor, device, subsystem and class'ID are
known. If not, fallback to the last PCI ID Repository at
http://pciids.sourceforge.net/ . If it doesn't help you, you could ask