Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Mike Edenfield

Default NetworkManager and/or WICD

Does anyone have any experience getting either NetworkManager or WICD to
work properly under Gentoo? When I attempt to use either of those
utilities to get onto my wireless network, the NIC refuses to stay
connected to the base station for more than a few seconds at a time.
Instead, it continually disassociates and deauthenticates, only for
nm/wicd to hop right back on. However, if I manually configure
wpa_supplicant for a given SSID and start it via the init script
directly, I don't have any such problems.

Additionally, I can't get either applet to actually save settings (like
known networks, passwords, etc.) which means that I'm continually
interrupted by a prompt for the wireless password.

What I'm really looking for is a graphical utility that will let me
connect to specific newly-detected wireless networks without having to
edit the WPA configuration and restart it; NetworkManager and WICD seem
to be the most popular. Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

--Mike