Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Harry Putnam

Default new version of gcc

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> writes:

Harry asked:
>> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?

Volker answered:

Quoted from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

,----
| To be completely safe that your system is in a sane state, you must
| rebuild the toolchain and then world to make use of the new compiler.
`----

I guess that is a yes.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Dale

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Harry asked:
>
>>> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?
>>>

> Volker answered:
>

>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gentoo+gcc+upgrade+guide&l=1
>>

> Quoted from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
>
> ,----
> | To be completely safe that your system is in a sane state, you must
> | rebuild the toolchain and then world to make use of the new compiler.
> `----
>
> I guess that is a yes.

That is a decent size upgrade. I know I would rebuild everything but I
bet there are some that wouldn't. Since you are planning a emerge world
anyway, why not. It makes good sense.

By the way, I'm using that version of gcc and I have not had any
problems so far. I'm x86.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 PM
walt

On 11/02/2009 03:20 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
> forgotten why I had it masked.
>
> I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
> most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
> expect in the way of problems.
>
> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?

No, just the c++ programs, because they require the correct version of
libstdc++, and that library is part of the gcc package. If the new gcc
package includes a new version of libstdc++ (not always) then existing
c++ apps will break because they can't find the old version of libstdc++.

Note that the old libstdc++ will be reincarnated if you use gcc-config
to switch back to the old version of gcc.

Clear as mud?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Graham Murray

> I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
> forgotten why I had it masked.
>
> I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
> most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
> expect in the way of problems.
>
> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?

No. There is no need to re-emerge when upgrading from gcc-4.3.x to
4.4.x, the ABIs did not change.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Alex Schuster

Harry Putnam writes:

> I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
> forgotten why I had it masked.
>
> I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
> most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
> expect in the way of problems.
>
> Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?

The upgrade guide says yes, but this seems to be true only when the ABI
changes, which happend for the last time when gcc 4.3 was introduced. I
would not do the emerge -e thing.
Unless this new gcc has some cool features you want to use. Then you would
change your CFLAGS, and either let the changes gradually drop in, or re-
emerge everything to make them happen at once.

What do you people think, are there fancy new and yet save CFLAGS that
would improve our Gentoos? http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html lists
some improvements, to me they don't look too spectacular. Well, maybe
apart from the graphite stuff
(http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite/PolyhedralInterface) which has been
mentioned here. I don't know how much of an improvement this may be.

Wonko

Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Harry Putnam

Nice... good advice all around. Thanks posters.

Turns out I have bigger problems. ( I didn't upgrade gcc) but the
things I did upgrad in upgrade system followed by upgrade world. Have
messed up mouse and keyboard in X.

But even that, is a lesser problem than my kernel build ends up in a
kernel panic (I did upgrade that)

But I will start a new thread about that.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:03:24 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Turns out I have bigger problems. ( I didn't upgrade gcc) but the
> things I did upgrad in upgrade system followed by upgrade world. Have
> messed up mouse and keyboard in X.

Did you follow the elog instructions about re-emerging drivers?

--
Neil Bothwick

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Harry Putnam

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:03:24 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Turns out I have bigger problems. ( I didn't upgrade gcc) but the
>> things I did upgrad in upgrade system followed by upgrade world. Have
>> messed up mouse and keyboard in X.
>
> Did you follow the elog instructions about re-emerging drivers?

As I started trying to do something with this problem.. I first
re-emerged xorg-server... and then saw the message you refer too.

So getting that done now.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Marcus Wanner

Nice... good advice all around. Thanks posters.

Turns out I have bigger problems. ( I didn't upgrade gcc) but the
things I did upgrad in upgrade system followed by upgrade world. Have
messed up mouse and keyboard in X.

Try recompiling the evdev, mouse, and kbd drivers.

Marcus