FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
walt
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

On 11/02/2009 10:29 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
> I have to admit that I "touched a running system" again ;-)
>
> My thinkpad runs gentoo linux x86, some unstable packages as well, I
> upgraded to Gnome 2.28 a few days ago.
>
> Yes, this could as well got to the mythtv-users-list but I assume the
> problem isn't with mythtv ...
>
> The symptoms:
>
> When I start mythfrontend it opens but somehow "kills" the display of
> the window borders ... the windowmanager seems to be hit somehow.

Alas, I forget the details, but there was something in my ~./gconf
that caused problems when I upgraded to 2.28.

I created a new user and started with a clean home directory and all
worked properly, so I knew something in my home directory was broken.

May not help you, but it's worth a try.
 
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

walt schrieb:

> Alas, I forget the details, but there was something in my ~./gconf
> that caused problems when I upgraded to 2.28.
>
> I created a new user and started with a clean home directory and all
> worked properly, so I knew something in my home directory was broken.
>
> May not help you, but it's worth a try.

thanks for the hint ... although switching the user would be some thing
to PLAN somehow here ....

I will simply give it a try now, create another fresh user and testdrive
mythtv and OO.org there.

Thank you, Stefan
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:

> I will simply give it a try now, create another fresh user and testdrive
> mythtv and OO.org there.

update: good information! the new user is able to start mythfrontend and
openoffice correctly.

Now I have to figure out which files in ~ to remove or recreate my user
without too much side-effects ...

;-)

Stefan
 
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM
walt
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

On 11/02/2009 01:34 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
>
>> I will simply give it a try now, create another fresh user and testdrive
>> mythtv and OO.org there.
>
> update: good information! the new user is able to start mythfrontend and
> openoffice correctly.
>
> Now I have to figure out which files in ~ to remove or recreate my user
> without too much side-effects ...

Excellent! I'm almost (52% ;o) positive that it was somewhere in ~/.gconf.
But I could be mistaken...
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

walt schrieb:

> Excellent! I'm almost (52% ;o) positive that it was somewhere in ~/.gconf.
> But I could be mistaken...

I will simply backup my home and remove dirs by trial and error ....

S
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
> walt schrieb:
>
>> Excellent! I'm almost (52% ;o) positive that it was somewhere in ~/.gconf.
>> But I could be mistaken...
>
> I will simply backup my home and remove dirs by trial and error ....

While I am at it ....

For a while I also face the fact that when I log out of my
gnome-session, the xorg-server doesn't get up again. It tries to restart
3 times and fails, Xorg.0.log says something about "failed to load load
modules dri and dri2" while nothing related is in xorg.conf ...

When I reboot the whole box, X11 comes up fine.

Rather annoying when having to log in and out more often.

xorg-server 1.6.3.901-r2 with nvidia-drivers-190.42-r2 now.

Right now I have an xorg.conf again (because of researching the original
issue mentioned) but that doesn't make much difference.

Stefan
 
Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
> walt schrieb:
>
>> Excellent! I'm almost (52% ;o) positive that it was somewhere in ~/.gconf.
>> But I could be mistaken...
>
> I will simply backup my home and remove dirs by trial and error ....

removing ~/.gconf did the trick, thanks!

Ok, I had to readjust some things, but that was some cleanup as well.
And it solved another small issue I had with the icon of the
power-applet, fine ...

Stefan
 
Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
walt
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

On 11/03/2009 12:23 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> While I am at it ....
>
> For a while I also face the fact that when I log out of my
> gnome-session, the xorg-server doesn't get up again. It tries to restart
> 3 times and fails, Xorg.0.log says something about "failed to load load
> modules dri and dri2" while nothing related is in xorg.conf ...

The dri and dri2 'errors' are normal for nvidia users, so that doesn't
help any. Perhaps you have something left over from your gnome session
that doesn't stop when it should. I see that quite often.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

walt schrieb:
> On 11/03/2009 12:23 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> While I am at it ....
>>
>> For a while I also face the fact that when I log out of my
>> gnome-session, the xorg-server doesn't get up again. It tries to restart
>> 3 times and fails, Xorg.0.log says something about "failed to load load
>> modules dri and dri2" while nothing related is in xorg.conf ...
>
> The dri and dri2 'errors' are normal for nvidia users, so that doesn't
> help any.

"Good" to know ....

> Perhaps you have something left over from your gnome session
> that doesn't stop when it should. I see that quite often.

hmm, any idea how to find that?

S
 
Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
walt
 
Default mythfrontend problems: no more keyboard, no window borders

On 11/03/2009 12:31 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> walt schrieb:

>> Perhaps you have something left over from your gnome session
>> that doesn't stop when it should. I see that quite often.
>
> hmm, any idea how to find that?

I use ps ax to see the running processes. Sometimes I see apps
obviously related to gnome still running after I exit X. I have
no idea why, but if I plan to restart X I kill those processes
first.

In your case I would do "ps ax > pre" after a reboot, and then
after logging out of X do "ps ax > post", and then compare 'pre'
to 'post' to see what has changed.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org