Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default revdep-rebuild vs. @preserved-rebuild

On Monday 02 November 2009 18:31:50 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> > You read the message, run @preserved-rebuild and x now links to the new y
> > library. When everything in @preserved-rebuild has been rebuilt, portage
> > knows that now nothing links to the old y library, and removes it.
>
> Alan, I haven't followed the introduction of @preserved-rebuild, but
> you comments make sound like something that happens as emerge is
> running.
>
> Or is it use like its predecessor and ran after a large merge or update?

It all happens invisibly as packages are merged with no user interaction. I
imagine portage runs ldd or similar on the packages just before installing
them to the live filesystem - it's quick and I have never noticed any
slowdown.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:40:35 +0000, Graham Murray wrote:

> The difference is that with the new @preserved-rebuild the 'old' library
> is not deleted until all of the dependent packages have been
> successfully rebuilt to use the 'new' library.

This also means that if you don't run emerge @preserved-rebuild, the old
libraries will still be hanging around, and revdep-rebuild won't rebuild
affected packages because the libraries they link against are still
there. revdep-rebuild depends on packages being broken to rebuild them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.