Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hung Dang

Default Eclipse 3.4-r2

Hi all,
I installed Eclipse 3.4 on my system and I could be able to enable
Classic Update under Window > Preferences > General > Capabilities.
Then I try to update Eclipse using Help > Software Updates > Find and
Update dialog, however, nothing happened when I clicked Next button.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot
Hung

PS: Attached is the output of the emerge --info command and the
java-check-environment command show that my Java environment if OK.
Portage 2.1.7.2 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.4, glibc-2.10.1-r0, 2.6.30-gentoo-r8-hhserver x86_64)
System uname: Linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r8-hhserver-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_920_@_2.67GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.1
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:15:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p35
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.9-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.6.4, 3.1.1-r1
dev-util/cmake: 2.6.4-r3
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.1
sys-apps/openrc: 0.5.2-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.63-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2, 1.11
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6a
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages metadata-transfer news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms splitdebug strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j7"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac accessibility acl acpi alsa amd64 apache2 aspell bash-completion berkdb bluetooth boost branding bzip2 cairo cdr cg cli compat consolekit contrib cracklib crypt cups dbus djvu dri dts dvd dvdr dvipdfm eds emboss encode evo extra extras fam fbcondecor fbsplash festival ffmpeg fftw flac fltk fortran gd gdbm gfortran gif git gnuplot gpm graphics gstreamer gtk hal hddtemp hdf5 iconv imagemagick ipv6 isdnlog java java6 jpeg jpeg2k kde kerberos kpathsea lapack laptop latex lcms ldap libnotify lm_sensors lua lyx mad math mbrola mikmod mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg msn mudflap multilib multislot mysql ncurses netcdf nls npp nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia ocaml ogg omega opengl openmp pam patented pch pcre pdf perl php plotutil png ppds pppd pstricks publishers python qt3support qt4 quicktime rdesktop readline reflection samba science sdl sensord server session spell spl sql sse sse2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg symlink sysfs syslog tcl tcpd threads thunar thunderbird tidy tiff tk truetype unicode usb v4l v4l2 vhosts vnc vorbis webkit wicd winbind wma wxwidgets wxwindows x264 xcomposite xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid xvmc yahoo zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en en_US" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:33:09AM +0000, Hung Dang wrote:

> I installed Eclipse 3.4 on my system and I could be able to enable
> Classic Update under Window > Preferences > General > Capabilities.
> Then I try to update Eclipse using Help > Software Updates > Find and
> Update dialog, however, nothing happened when I clicked Next button.
> Any idea?

Update a software using any "embedded option" in it is definetly not a
good way to do things in Unix systems. Programs with such menu entry are
usually multi-platform softwares.

This is the less worse way to update softwares in OS lacking a true
package manager.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht