Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default X crashes with nvidia-173 driver

On Monday 02 November 2009 05:11:45 Dale wrote:
> I was informed a while back that the later driver versions only show the
> Nvidia splash screen the first time the module is loaded or something
> like that. Basically you only see it once. That can be changed somehow
> but I can remember how they said to do it. I only asked because I
> thought my Nvidia drivers weren't loading.

Option "NoLogo" <boolean>

in xorg.conf

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Maxim Wexler

>> Black screen, instant total system crash.
>
> Well, that suggests a kernel panic, I think. What happens if you use an
> older kernel?

There is no older kernel. I knew there was something I forgot to save.
But I saved xorg.conf and it's identical.

The sysrecusecd finds the card and X starts fine. The only difference
in the config is that on the CD CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=y and on the PC it's
a module. So I set it to y. Didn't help.

mw

Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
walt

On 11/02/2009 10:55 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>>> Black screen, instant total system crash.
>>
>> Well, that suggests a kernel panic, I think. What happens if you use an
>> older kernel?
>>
> There is no older kernel. I knew there was something I forgot to save.
> But I saved xorg.conf and it's identical.

You can compile one from an older source package and see if it helps. Just
use the same kernel config you have now and do make oldconfig to remove
any new config items.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Maxim Wexler

> You can compile one from an older source package and see if it helps. Just
> use the same kernel config you have now and do make oldconfig to remove
> any new config items.

Using linux-2.6.29. Changed symlink, re-emerged nvidia-drivers, ran
#modprobe nvidia:

FATAL: error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko):
No such device

???lspci begs to differ

Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
walt

On 11/02/2009 01:45 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>> You can compile one from an older source package and see if it helps. Just
>> use the same kernel config you have now and do make oldconfig to remove
>> any new config items.
>
> Using linux-2.6.29. Changed symlink, re-emerged nvidia-drivers, ran
> #modprobe nvidia:
>
> FATAL: error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko):
> No such device
>
> ???lspci begs to differ

<groan> I've never seen that error from nvidia, and I've seen lots of
errors (

Are you sure the nvidia module that was actually merged is the same
version you thought you were merging? (I'm reduced to silly questions.)

Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Maxim Wexler

>> FATAL: error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko):
>> No such device
>>
>> ???lspci begs to differ
>
> <groan> I've never seen that error from nvidia, and I've seen lots of
> errors (
>
> Are you sure the nvidia module that was actually merged is the same
> version you thought you were merging? (I'm reduced to silly questions.)

173.14.20 was what emerge -pv called for and that's what's in /var/log/portage

meanwhile attached greps of (EE) and (WW) in Xorg.0.log, FWIW

mw

Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
walt

On 11/02/2009 06:32 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>>> FATAL: error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko):
>>> No such device
>>>
>>> ???lspci begs to differ
>>
>> <groan> I've never seen that error from nvidia, and I've seen lots of
>> errors (
>>
>> Are you sure the nvidia module that was actually merged is the same
>> version you thought you were merging? (I'm reduced to silly questions.)
>>
> 173.14.20 was what emerge -pv called for and that's what's in /var/log/portage
>
> meanwhile attached greps of (EE) and (WW) in Xorg.0.log, FWIW

The error in your Xlog uses the word 'module' in this sense:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 173.14.20 Thu Jun 25 19:28:52 PDT 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0

I'm guessing that the xorg server couldn't load its 'nvidia' module because
the nvidia kernel module wasn't loaded, so that's no surprise.

Does modprobe -nv nvidia say anything interesting?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Maxim Wexler

> I'm guessing that the xorg server couldn't load its 'nvidia' module because
> the nvidia kernel module wasn't loaded, so that's no surprise.
>
> Does modprobe -nv nvidia say anything interesting?

kyzyl ~ # modprobe -nv nvidia
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432
NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27 NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
walt

On 11/03/2009 06:10 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the xorg server couldn't load its 'nvidia' module because
>> the nvidia kernel module wasn't loaded, so that's no surprise.
>>
>> Does modprobe -nv nvidia say anything interesting?
>

> kyzyl ~ # modprobe -nv nvidia
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432
> NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27 NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1
> NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432 NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27
> NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1
> FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29/video/nvidia.ko):
> No such device

Do you have /lib/modules/2.6.29/modules.pcimap?

#head modules.pcimap
# pci module vendor device subvendor subdevice class class_mask driver_data
snd-via82xx 0x00001106 0x00003058 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x0
snd-via82xx 0x00001106 0x00003059 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x0
nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030000 0xffffffff 0x0
nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030200 0xffffffff 0x0
uhci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0300 0xffffffff 0x0

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Maxim Wexler

> nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030000
> 0xffffffff 0x0
> nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030200
> 0xffffffff 0x0

The lines in my modules.pcimap are identical.

FWIW, I mentioned previously that startx precipitated a total crash;
not so, having installed the sound drivers it is clear that only X
crashes and SysRq works to get me backto a console. Also, been reading
the recent hal + nvidia thread. Definite similarities to my situation.
I emerged xorg with hal support but I tried with the hal daemon off
and it didn't help. I also tried the very brief, five line, xorg.conf
file suggested no help, no change.

I also note something eerily similar in my netbook which has only a
builtin intel vid chip. In this case X starts fine but then, after a
period of time, could be as short as 15 mins or as long as 8 hours the
desktop goes blank, ususally black but once grey. I can migrate to the
first console and turn off theX server but I have to reboot to get
back to the desktop. Running startx again just leads back to a blank
screen. Every thing else, sound card, wireless seems to work OK.

mw