Old 11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Maxim Wexler

Default X crashes with nvidia-173 driver

Hi group

Having installed the Geforce FX5500 drivers,
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1.run, and ran startx the desktop
appears but the system crashes.

From the X log, (WW):

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Mouse1
(WW) Disabling Keyboard1
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module freetype
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module xtt
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2

and (EE)

(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xtt" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

Notes:
"dri" was commented out in xorg.conf but uncommenting made no difference.

$ls /usr/share/fonts
default encodings ttf-bitstream-vera

and nothing in those dirs like those mentioned in (WW)

yes, ran "eselect opengl set nvidia" after drivers were emerged.

#nvidia-settings -V
ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run 'nvidia-settings --help'

Is there an option I can pass to nvidia-settings to solve this, or
should I look elsewhere?

Maxim

Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
walt

On 11/01/2009 09:13 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Hi group
>
> Having installed the Geforce FX5500 drivers,
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1.run, and ran startx the desktop
> appears but the system crashes...

Do you mean the entire system, or just the X server?

> #nvidia-settings -V
> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run 'nvidia-settings --help'

The nvidia-settings applet is an X program and thus requires a running X session.
I assume you are running it from a console, since X crashes?

If you type 'X' from a console (instead of startx) does the crash still happen?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Maxim Wexler

On 11/1/09, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2009 09:13 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>> Hi group
>>
>> Having installed the Geforce FX5500 drivers,
>> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1.run, and ran startx the desktop
>> appears but the system crashes...
>
> Do you mean the entire system, or just the X server?

Desktop(raw X, default terminals and clock icon) appears, instant
total system crash

> If you type 'X' from a console (instead of startx) does the crash still
> happen?

Black screen, instant total system crash.

Oh, and the green nvidia icon fails to flash briefly after the startx command.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 AM
walt

On 11/01/2009 02:36 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> On 11/1/09, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/01/2009 09:13 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>>> Hi group
>>>
>>> Having installed the Geforce FX5500 drivers,
>>> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1.run, and ran startx the desktop
>>> appears but the system crashes...
>>
>> Do you mean the entire system, or just the X server?
>
> Desktop(raw X, default terminals and clock icon) appears, instant
> total system crash
>
>> If you type 'X' from a console (instead of startx) does the crash still
>> happen?
>
> Black screen, instant total system crash.

Well, that suggests a kernel panic, I think. What happens if you use an
older kernel?

> Oh, and the green nvidia icon fails to flash briefly after the startx command.

I use the same nvidia drivers for the nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
video card (given to me by my brother-in-law-the-gamer after I installed his new,
upgraded nVidia card for him )

For a long time I saw that same green nvidia logo flash during startup, but now
that you mention it, I haven't seen it for a long time. I really don't know when
it stopped, but it was weeks ago, not days.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Dale

walt wrote:
> On 11/01/2009 02:36 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:

>>> Do you mean the entire system, or just the X server?
>>>
>> Desktop(raw X, default terminals and clock icon) appears, instant
>> total system crash
>>

>>> If you type 'X' from a console (instead of startx) does the crash still
>>> happen?
>>>
>> Black screen, instant total system crash.
>>

> Well, that suggests a kernel panic, I think. What happens if you use an
> older kernel?
>

>> Oh, and the green nvidia icon fails to flash briefly after the startx command.
>>

> I use the same nvidia drivers for the nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
> video card (given to me by my brother-in-law-the-gamer after I installed his new,
> upgraded nVidia card for him )
>
> For a long time I saw that same green nvidia logo flash during startup, but now
> that you mention it, I haven't seen it for a long time. I really don't know when
> it stopped, but it was weeks ago, not days.

I was informed a while back that the later driver versions only show the
Nvidia splash screen the first time the module is loaded or something
like that. Basically you only see it once. That can be changed somehow
but I can remember how they said to do it. I only asked because I
thought my Nvidia drivers weren't loading.

Dale

:-) :-)