Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 AM
walt

Default depclean / db & php loop

On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> * sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p4 pulled in by:
> * dev-lang/php-5.2.11 needs libdb-4.6.so
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] dev-lang/php-5.2.11 USE="apache2 berkdb bzip2 cgi cli
^^^^^^
Ah, the nomenclature is a bit confusing. libdb is supplied by the "Berkely"
database package (the historical name) but portage calls the package "db".

This "Berkely" distinguishes db from db2 (which is IBM, not Berkely).

Anyway to get rid of the 'db' dependency you need to unset your berkdb USE
flag and rebuild php. Very confusing!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM
walt

On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> If it matters this is a PPC Mac Mini used as a MythTV backend
> server...

Oops, I forgot to ask:

It may be very important -- but I don't have a clue what a MythTV
server does or what packages it depends on.

Does your server use something like Apache/php to do the serving,
and do you really need php to do it?

Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> * *If it matters this is a PPC Mac Mini used as a MythTV backend
>> server...
>
> Oops, I forgot to ask:
>
> It may be very important -- but I don't have a clue what a MythTV
> server does or what packages it depends on.
>
> Does your server use something like Apache/php to do the serving,
> and do you really need php to do it?

Walt,
Thanks for the info on the USE flag. I'll try that tomorrow.

As for Myth and Apache, there is a MythWeb app that allows me to
look at TV listings, what's recorded, what's coming up, etc. I don't
even know what php is so I cannot say whether I need it or not. I
suspect this is the sort of thing where a developer or whoever sets of
basic profiles set something and maybe I could get rid of it if I knew
what it did. It seems to be required by MythWeb and I don't seem to
have any real USE flag control in MythWeb. To me Apache is just a
tool, not an app, so I don't try to optimize how I use it but rather
hope the Gentoo devs are making the right choices.

Again, thanks!

- Mark

MacMini ~ # equery depends php
[ Searching for packages depending on php... ]
www-apps/mythweb-0.21_p17573 (=virtual/httpd-php-5*)
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # emerge -pv mythweb apache

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] www-servers/apache-2.2.11-r2 USE="ldap ssl -debug
-doc (-selinux) -sni -static -suexec -threads"
APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon
authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default
authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav
dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime
mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id
userdir usertrack vhost_alias -asis -auth_digest -authn_dbd -cern_meta
-charset_lite -dbd -dumpio -ident -imagemap -log_forensic -proxy
-proxy_ajp -proxy_balancer -proxy_connect -proxy_ftp -proxy_http
-substitute -version" APACHE2_MPMS="-event -itk -peruser -prefork
-worker" 0 kB

[ebuild R ] www-apps/mythweb-0.21_p17573 USE="-vhosts" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
MacMini ~ #

Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:42:49 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Earlier today emerge --depclean wouldn't remove db because 3
> programs needed it so I rebuilt the 3 programs but it's still
> complaining about php. Sometimes I'll just remove the problem package
> - like db in this case - and then let an emerge -DuN @world /
> revdep-rebuild fix it, but I wanted to be careful with db as it might
> be important to portage or eix.
>
> What's the right way to fix this?

The way you normally do, unmerge that specific db package then re-emerge
the packages that depended on it. Or, as suggested elsewhere, get rid of
the berkdb USE flag.

--
Neil Bothwick

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 04:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> * *If it matters this is a PPC Mac Mini used as a MythTV backend
>> server...
>
> Oops, I forgot to ask:
>
> It may be very important -- but I don't have a clue what a MythTV
> server does or what packages it depends on.
>
> Does your server use something like Apache/php to do the serving,
> and do you really need php to do it?

MythTV is digital video recording software, allowing
watching/recording of things through a tv tuner card, and even
pause/resume of a 'live stream'.

It's heavily dependent on mysql, as I recall, and has the option to
use Apache+PHP to serve up a web based interface, MythWeb, as is
mentioned in the OPs reply to your question. It, however, doesn't use
php's ability to interface with berkley db in any way I'm aware of, so
it should safe to merely rebuild php without the berkdb use flag, then
remove the db package.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

p.s. - for the OP, php is a scripting language that's most commonly
used to provide dynamic web content, and as MythWeb is written in
php...