Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Dale

Default hal vs. devicekit

Mike Edenfield wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 4:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> Even it's author knows this (but apparently many distros do not)
>> which is why
>> he deprecated hal and started over with devicekit.
>
> Speaking of which...
>
> Has the switchover to devicekit officially started and I missed it?
> And if so, is there some migration guide of some sort I can peruse for
> assistance?
>
> I just upgraded Xorg and Gnome yesterday and my previously
> more-or-less-working with hal system went belly up. It no longer
> recognizes my synaptics touchpad, and in fact refused to start X until
> I re-merged the kdb/mouse drivers, and gnome-power-manager is totally
> useless.
>
> For the record, I'm all about moving to devicekit from hal if that's
> where the dev(s) are moving, but I'd rather do so while continuing to
> use my laptop
>
> --Mike

I noticed devicekit going in the tree the other day. I think I posted
it on this list.

root@smoker / # eix devicekit
* sys-apps/devicekit
Available versions: ~003 {doc}
Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
listening for device events using udev

* sys-apps/devicekit-disks
Available versions: ~008 {bash-completion debug doc}
Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
storage devices

* sys-apps/devicekit-power
Available versions: ~009 ~011 {debug doc test}
Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
devices and querying history and statistics

Found 3 matches.
root@smoker / #

I'm not sure when it FIRST hit the tree but at least it is there. I
hope the config stuff is easier. Of course, if it just works, that
would be nice.

Dale

:-) :-)