Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Mike Edenfield

Default hal vs. devicekit (was: more about hal)

On 10/31/2009 4:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

Even it's author knows this (but apparently many distros do not) which is why
he deprecated hal and started over with devicekit.

Speaking of which...

Has the switchover to devicekit officially started and I
missed it? And if so, is there some migration guide of some
sort I can peruse for assistance?

I just upgraded Xorg and Gnome yesterday and my previously
more-or-less-working with hal system went belly up. It no
longer recognizes my synaptics touchpad, and in fact refused
to start X until I re-merged the kdb/mouse drivers, and
gnome-power-manager is totally useless.

For the record, I'm all about moving to devicekit from hal
if that's where the dev(s) are moving, but I'd rather do so
while continuing to use my laptop

--Mike

Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 01 November 2009 00:25:55 Mike Edenfield wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 4:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Even it's author knows this (but apparently many distros do not) which is
> > why he deprecated hal and started over with devicekit.
>
> Speaking of which...
>
> Has the switchover to devicekit officially started and I
> missed it? And if so, is there some migration guide of some
> sort I can peruse for assistance?
>
> I just upgraded Xorg and Gnome yesterday and my previously
> more-or-less-working with hal system went belly up. It no
> longer recognizes my synaptics touchpad, and in fact refused
> to start X until I re-merged the kdb/mouse drivers, and
> gnome-power-manager is totally useless.
>
> For the record, I'm all about moving to devicekit from hal
> if that's where the dev(s) are moving, but I'd rather do so
> while continuing to use my laptop

devicekit was only recently added to portage, and last time I looked the
hardware it supported was nowhere near hal yet.

So the answer to your question is unfortunately no

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com