Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Valmor de Almeida

Default glxgears with no ... gears?!

Mick wrote:
> Am I the only one with dodgy glxgears? Any ideas at all?
>
> On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Mick wrote:
>> I've updated xorg following all relevant instructions by gentoo devs on an
>> old laptop and when I run glxgears I get no graphic and pedestrian speeds:
>>
>> $ glxgears
>> 629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.622 FPS
>> 629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.718 FPS
>> 627 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.377 FPS
>>
>> If I maximise the window, still no gears just a black terminal window and I
>> get:
>>
>> 93 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18.474 FPS
>>
>> It's never been that bad before. I've noticed that emerge -uDv world
>> pulled in xorg-drivers and it also emerged xf86-video-ati. I attach the
>> list of the packages that were emerged today and my Xorg.0.log, just in
>> case you see something amiss in there.
>>
>> Please ask if you need more info.
>>
>> PS. I have no xorg.conf, but can post the *.fdi files if needed.

No. See recent post: [gentoo-user] Xorg slow after upgrade

--
Valmor

Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Mick

On Saturday 31 October 2009 15:48:10 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Am I the only one with dodgy glxgears? Any ideas at all?
> >
> > On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Mick wrote:
> >> I've updated xorg following all relevant instructions by gentoo devs on
> >> an old laptop and when I run glxgears I get no graphic and pedestrian
> >> speeds:
> >>
> >> $ glxgears
> >> 629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.622 FPS
> >> 629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.718 FPS
> >> 627 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.377 FPS
> >>
> >> If I maximise the window, still no gears just a black terminal window
> >> and I get:
> >>
> >> 93 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18.474 FPS
> >>
> >> It's never been that bad before. I've noticed that emerge -uDv world
> >> pulled in xorg-drivers and it also emerged xf86-video-ati. I attach the
> >> list of the packages that were emerged today and my Xorg.0.log, just in
> >> case you see something amiss in there.
> >>
> >> Please ask if you need more info.
> >>
> >> PS. I have no xorg.conf, but can post the *.fdi files if needed.
>
> No. See recent post: [gentoo-user] Xorg slow after upgrade
>
> --
> Valmor

Thanks Valmor, I saw the thread. I don't run KDE4 only xdm/fluxbox (although
I run KDE4 applications individually). In the past the odd xorg upgrade might
have made things worse, until a new version came out and restored performance
to a good/acceptable level. This current deterioration in performance has
been gradual since I think xorg 1.5. All I can assume is that my hardware is
so getting so old that it is becoming unsupported.
Mick