Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Gtk+ update results in slow Firefox

On 10/30/2009 09:39 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
because it seems to be fine here.

http://www.kamenos.gr

scrolls without any lag. Instant response. No lag at all.
Even with effects turned on there is no lag.

Then I wonder what's wrong here. It's so slow, that if I scroll the
mouse wheel up/down quickly a few times, Firefox is still scrolling for
several seconds after I stopped using the wheel, trying to catch up.
Starting with a clean profile didn't help either.

I've updated to Firefox 3.6 Beta (mozilla overlay) and this version
restores the speed again. I guess I'll stay with this beta since
(fortunately) the add-ons I use work with it.

So I guess problem "solved." :P

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 30 October 2009 21:16:56 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> There was an update to Gtk+ today (from 2.16.6 to 2.18.3). After
> performing the update, Firefox (3.5.4) is slow as molasses when
> scrolling in some pages. Example:
>
> http://www.simplemachines.org
>
> (Try to scroll up/down).
>
> Anyone else noticing this or is it just me? I'm on AMD64. I've rebuilt
> xulrunner and Firefox after the Gtk+ update just in case, but it didn't
> make any difference.

Nope, no problem here.

Same versions as you, on ~amd64 with nvidia proprietary drivers and
xorg-server-1.7.1

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
because it seems to be fine here.

http://www.kamenos.gr

scrolls without any lag. Instant response. No lag at all.
Even with effects turned on there is no lag.

Then I wonder what's wrong here. It's so slow, that if I scroll the
mouse wheel up/down quickly a few times, Firefox is still scrolling for
several seconds after I stopped using the wheel, trying to catch up.
Starting with a clean profile didn't help either.

I've updated to Firefox 3.6 Beta (mozilla overlay) and this version
restores the speed again. I guess I'll stay with this beta since
(fortunately) the add-ons I use work with it.

So I guess problem "solved." :P

Gah, the Flash plugin is very buggy with 3.6 (rendering corruption). I
reverted to 3.5.4 and downgraded to Gtk+ 2.16.6 and gtkmm 2.16.0 instead.

Any pointers at to what might be wrong are still welcome.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 AM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 10:06 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> scrolls without any lag. Instant response. No lag at all. Even
>>> with effects turned on there is no lag.
>>
>> Then I wonder what's wrong here. It's so slow, that if I scroll the
>> mouse wheel up/down quickly a few times, Firefox is still
>> scrolling for several seconds after I stopped using the wheel,
>> trying to catch up. Starting with a clean profile didn't help
>> either.
>>
>> I've updated to Firefox 3.6 Beta (mozilla overlay) and this version
>> restores the speed again. I guess I'll stay with this beta since
>> (fortunately) the add-ons I use work with it.
>>
>> So I guess problem "solved." :P
>
> Gah, the Flash plugin is very buggy with 3.6 (rendering corruption).
> I reverted to 3.5.4 and downgraded to Gtk+ 2.16.6 and gtkmm 2.16.0
> instead.
>
> Any pointers at to what might be wrong are still welcome.

Shot in the dark here.

NVidia updated their drivers at about the time you started having
problems. Their latest driver update changed the permissions on
/dev/nvidia0 nvidiactl ; resulting in VERY slow scrolling response on
my box (amd64) using googleearth. Changing the permissions to crwxrw-rw-
resulted in instant speed up; you may get by with r--r-- (?).

HTH

Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Gah, the Flash plugin is very buggy with 3.6 (rendering corruption).
I reverted to 3.5.4 and downgraded to Gtk+ 2.16.6 and gtkmm 2.16.0
instead.

Any pointers at to what might be wrong are still welcome.

Shot in the dark here.

NVidia updated their drivers at about the time you started having
problems. Their latest driver update changed the permissions on
/dev/nvidia0 nvidiactl ; resulting in VERY slow scrolling response on
my box (amd64) using googleearth. Changing the permissions to crwxrw-rw-
resulted in instant speed up; you may get by with r--r-- (?).

Thanks, but that's not it. I'm on ATI and /dev/ati/card0 has the right
permissions. And it works just fine with older Gtk+, just not with newer.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 02:55:55 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:

> NVidia updated their drivers at about the time you started having
> problems. Their latest driver update changed the permissions on
> /dev/nvidia0 nvidiactl ; resulting in VERY slow scrolling response on
> my box (amd64) using googleearth. Changing the permissions to crwxrw-rw-
> resulted in instant speed up; you may get by with r--r-- (?).

I don't have that device on either of my systems using a GeForce 7300 GS. Nor
can I find an nvidiactl.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009 02:55:55 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
>
>> NVidia updated their drivers at about the time you started having
>> problems. Their latest driver update changed the permissions on
>> /dev/nvidia0 nvidiactl ; resulting in VERY slow scrolling response on
>> my box (amd64) using googleearth. Changing the permissions to crwxrw-rw-
>> resulted in instant speed up; you may get by with r--r-- (?).
>
> I don't have that device on either of my systems using a GeForce 7300 GS. Nor
> can I find an nvidiactl.

That device appears when you use the NV proprietary driver.

There are basically three options with an NV card:

- use the generic built-in driver
additionally,
- use the additional, open-source NV drivers.
or
- alternatively use the proprietary NV driver.

This may be useful: <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Nvidia>

FWIW, the NV drivers are blocked in portage for my hardened AMD64, so I
get the drivers here:
<http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html>

HTH

Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 05 November 2009 22:11:49 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 November 2009 02:55:55 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> >> NVidia updated their drivers at about the time you started having
> >> problems. Their latest driver update changed the permissions on
> >> /dev/nvidia0 nvidiactl ; resulting in VERY slow scrolling response on
> >> my box (amd64) using googleearth. Changing the permissions to crwxrw-rw-
> >> resulted in instant speed up; you may get by with r--r-- (?).
> >
> > I don't have that device on either of my systems using a GeForce 7300 GS.
> > Nor can I find an nvidiactl.
>
> That device appears when you use the NV proprietary driver.

I should have said that I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.42-r2, which
I thought was the proprietary driver.

--
Rgds
Peter