Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Duncan Smith

Default Installing an old glibc to run a proprietary commercial tool (would that even help?)

Thank you both for your quick response.

I'll probably end up taking the virtual machine approach. I may also
try some sort of chroot solution... I'll see how much of a hassle
vmware is.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Kyle Bader

Avoiding 1, 2, and 3 but thought I'd propose a 4 other than a virtual
machine. Ask the vendor if they can provide a statically compiled
version, that way you don't have to worry about libc. I dunno how
flexible the vendor is but its worth asking

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle

Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Duncan Smith

2009/10/30 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com>:
> Virtualbox on the other hand is pretty much hassle free in my experience.
> Can't talk about vmware - haven't used that in years

Thanks for the pointer to Virtualbox... I hadn't heard of it. Looks
like the wiki has some help, though.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VirtualBox

I'll give it a shot before vmware.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Duncan Smith

2009/10/31 William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>:
> I was in a similar position some years ago - grab a copy of the needed
> libs from somewhere and use "ldpreload" to load them into memory before
> running the application. *Google will help.
>
> In some cases, you can symlink the needed lib names to existing later
> libs *and run ldconfig before trying to run the app. *This does work
> sometimes, but success varies ...
>
> BillK

Interesting... I may give that a shot. Should be able to crank out a
wrapper script to do that automatically.

It'd be prudent to have RHEL4 anyway, since that's what some of our
customers are running, but it's good to have another option.