Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Gtk+ update results in slow Firefox

There was an update to Gtk+ today (from 2.16.6 to 2.18.3). After
performing the update, Firefox (3.5.4) is slow as molasses when
scrolling in some pages. Example:

http://www.simplemachines.org

(Try to scroll up/down).

Anyone else noticing this or is it just me? I'm on AMD64. I've rebuilt
xulrunner and Firefox after the Gtk+ update just in case, but it didn't
make any difference.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> There was an update to Gtk+ today (from 2.16.6 to 2.18.3). After
> performing the update, Firefox (3.5.4) is slow as molasses when
> scrolling in some pages. Example:
>
> http://www.simplemachines.org
>
> (Try to scroll up/down).
>
> Anyone else noticing this or is it just me? I'm on AMD64. I've rebuilt
> xulrunner and Firefox after the Gtk+ update just in case, but it didn't
> make any difference.

do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
because it seems to be fine here.

gtk is 2.18.3 and firefox 3.5.4 here.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

http://www.kamenos.gr

Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

There was an update to Gtk+ today (from 2.16.6 to 2.18.3). After
performing the update, Firefox (3.5.4) is slow as molasses when
scrolling in some pages. Example:

http://www.simplemachines.org

(Try to scroll up/down).

Anyone else noticing this or is it just me? I'm on AMD64. I've rebuilt
xulrunner and Firefox after the Gtk+ update just in case, but it didn't
make any difference.

do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
because it seems to be fine here.

I forgot to mention that the problem is only really apparent with
"smooth scrolling" enabled (Preferences->Advanced->Use smooth
scrolling). It was a bit slow before the update too, but nothing
serious, but now it's *extremely* slow.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
> > because it seems to be fine here.
>
> http://www.kamenos.gr

scrolls without any lag. Instant response. No lag at all.
Even with effects turned on there is no lag.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 09:23 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> There was an update to Gtk+ today (from 2.16.6 to 2.18.3). After
> >> performing the update, Firefox (3.5.4) is slow as molasses when
> >> scrolling in some pages. Example:
> >>
> >> http://www.simplemachines.org
> >>
> >> (Try to scroll up/down).
> >>
> >> Anyone else noticing this or is it just me? I'm on AMD64. I've rebuilt
> >> xulrunner and Firefox after the Gtk+ update just in case, but it didn't
> >> make any difference.
> >
> > do you have a bigger page with more scrolling showing the problem?
> > because it seems to be fine here.
>
> I forgot to mention that the problem is only really apparent with
> "smooth scrolling" enabled (Preferences->Advanced->Use smooth
> scrolling). It was a bit slow before the update too, but nothing
> serious, but now it's *extremely* slow.

'sanften Bildlauf aktivieren'? Turned it on, restarted firefox. There is a
short jerk when scrolling the page for the first time but after that everything
is quick.