Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Maxim Wexler

Default memory(gray matter) needs jog-DONE

> I'm not sure why your system needed to be checked for each boot.
> Perhaps you can post the exact error message? I'm pretty sure it wasn't
> fragmentation. What it *might* be saying (but again we can't verify
> without an error message) is that your filesystem contains errors that
> cannot be fixed in non-interactive mode (i.e. you need to run fsck
> manually).
>
> It's hard to tell you what option you need when we are unsure what
> problem you are trying to fix.

Look for the thread "running e2fsck pre-boot" on this list.

Willie Wong had the answer: tune2fs, not e2fsck.

$man tune2fs
It is strongly recommended that either -c (mount-count-depen-
dent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be enabled to force peri-
odic full e2fsck(8) checking of the filesystem. Failure to do
so may lead to filesystem corruption (due to bad disks, cables,
memory, or kernel bugs) going unnoticed, ultimately resulting in
data loss or corruption.

I ran it before on my SSD and it worked like a charm. But I neglected
to run it on the
SD card that holds /home and /var on my eee. Now it is starting to
display the same symptons. Yes I know, ext2 is rather retro, but I was
persuaded to use it by reading the forums and now it's a lot simpler
just to run tune2fs rather thman scrap the system and start again.

mw

Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Stroller

Yes I know, ext2 is rather retro, but I was
persuaded to use it by reading the forums and now it's a lot simpler
just to run tune2fs rather thman scrap the system and start again.

I know you can convert an ext3 filesystem to ext4. Can you not do the
same ext2 -> ext3?

Stroller.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
walt

On 10/30/2009 10:26 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2009, at 17:04, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>> Yes I know, ext2 is rather retro, but I was
>> persuaded to use it by reading the forums and now it's a lot simpler
>> just to run tune2fs rather thman scrap the system and start again.
>
> I know you can convert an ext3 filesystem to ext4. Can you not do the
> same ext2 -> ext3?

Yes, with the -j flag to tune2fs.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Maxim Wexler

On 10/30/09, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 10:26 AM, Stroller wrote:
>>
>> On 30 Oct 2009, at 17:04, Maxim Wexler wrote:
>>> Yes I know, ext2 is rather retro, but I was
>>> persuaded to use it by reading the forums and now it's a lot simpler
>>> just to run tune2fs rather thman scrap the system and start again.
>>
>> I know you can convert an ext3 filesystem to ext4. Can you not do the
>> same ext2 -> ext3?
>
> Yes, with the -j flag to tune2fs

And it doesn't destroy the files? If so, that's good news.

mw

Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Kyle Bader

And iirc you can got ext3 -> ext2. The same does not hold true for
ext4 -> ext3.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle

Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
walt

On 10/30/2009 02:12 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> On 10/30/09, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/30/2009 10:26 AM, Stroller wrote:

>>> I know you can convert an ext3 filesystem to ext4. Can you not do the
>>> same ext2 -> ext3?
>>
>> Yes, with the -j flag to tune2fs
>
> And it doesn't destroy the files? If so, that's good news.

The man page says you can even do it to a mounted filesystem, but I'd
be more comfortable running tune2fs -j from a live CD or similar.

I haven't actually done this since ext3 became the standard many years
ago, but I'm pretty sure I converted unmounted partitions.

YMMV, naturally, and you might want to sacrifice a live chicken in front
of the computer before starting. Couldn't hurt.