Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Albert Hopkins

Default xen and ext4

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 20:50 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am using gentoo x64. i want to try xen, but my file system is ext4,
> and i cannot fine ext4 support while compiling xen-source. have i
> missed something, or ext4 is not supported by xen for now? when will
> it be available?

You've by now noticed that the xen-sources kernel is *very* old. It's a
patched version of 2.6.18. ext4dev didn't come around until 2.6.19, and
ext4 proper until 2.6.28.

When will it be available? That's probably a question to ask Citrix.
It's basically in their hands to release a (supported) Xen kernel that's
based on a more modern Linux kernel or at least get Xen dom0 in good
enough shape that it will be accepted into the mainline kernel (though
I'm not holding my breath).

-a

Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Momesso Andrea

On Friday 30 October 2009 14:05:27 Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 20:50 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i am using gentoo x64. i want to try xen, but my file system is ext4,
> > and i cannot fine ext4 support while compiling xen-source. have i
> > missed something, or ext4 is not supported by xen for now? when will
> > it be available?
>
> You've by now noticed that the xen-sources kernel is *very* old. It's a
> patched version of 2.6.18. ext4dev didn't come around until 2.6.19, and
> ext4 proper until 2.6.28.
>
> When will it be available? That's probably a question to ask Citrix.
> It's basically in their hands to release a (supported) Xen kernel that's
> based on a more modern Linux kernel or at least get Xen dom0 in good
> enough shape that it will be accepted into the mainline kernel (though
> I'm not holding my breath).
>
> -a

Of course you can use ext4 in your DomU (the guest machines), since they can
use newer kernels. I have 2.6.30 in one of my DomUs.

Using this solution you will not be able to browse the DomU partition's
content from the Dom0 while the virtual machine is offline. You will need to
boot from a livecd for that purpose.

---
TopperH
http://topperh.blackmamba.kicks-ass.org