FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Linux Magazine tests Gentoo performance

I suppose this is interesting to most Gentoo users. Linux Magazine
performed a detailed benchmark of Gentoo, comparing it to Ubuntu 9.04:


http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1

The conclusion (Gentoo clearly outperforms Ubuntu) is no surprise, but
it's still an interesting read.


Before you ask: the article *does* mention that Gentoo's point is not
"faster optimization" (aka "for ricers") but it's just a side effect of
Gentoo's architecture.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Linux Magazine tests Gentoo performance

On 10/29/2009 10:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

I suppose this is interesting to most Gentoo users. Linux Magazine
performed a detailed benchmark of Gentoo, comparing it to Ubuntu 9.04:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1


Btw, I think this is a very nice example of why per-package CFLAGS would
have been very useful. Some application largely benefit from -Os, others
from -O2.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Mike Edenfield
 
Default Linux Magazine tests Gentoo performance

On 10/29/2009 5:13 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 10/29/2009 10:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

I suppose this is interesting to most Gentoo users. Linux Magazine
performed a detailed benchmark of Gentoo, comparing it to Ubuntu 9.04:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1


Btw, I think this is a very nice example of why per-package CFLAGS would
have been very useful. Some application largely benefit from -Os, others
from -O2.


If you're willing to put in a bit of effort, I believe you can set up a
per-package environment (including custom CFLAGS) in a number of ways.
The one that seems to be most popular is described here:


http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg00585.html
 
Old 10-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Justin
 
Default Linux Magazine tests Gentoo performance

Mike Edenfield schrieb:
> On 10/29/2009 5:13 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 10/29/2009 10:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> I suppose this is interesting to most Gentoo users. Linux Magazine
>>> performed a detailed benchmark of Gentoo, comparing it to Ubuntu 9.04:
>>>
>>> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1
>>
>> Btw, I think this is a very nice example of why per-package CFLAGS would
>> have been very useful. Some application largely benefit from -Os, others
>> from -O2.
>
> If you're willing to put in a bit of effort, I believe you can set up a
> per-package environment (including custom CFLAGS) in a number of ways.
> The one that seems to be most popular is described here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg00585.html
>
>
>
I am using a much simpler (for me thing). Just create for every package
you like to change things a kind of pseudo make.conf in

/etc/portage/env/CAT/

There you can change everything on package basis, not only FLAGS, but
also FEATURES etc.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org