Old 10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default executing commands on lots of servers at once

On Thursday 29 October 2009 20:36:27 James wrote:
> I have a cluster of Gentoo boxes I'd like to update all at once, along
> with emerging specific packages to the servers simultaneously.
>
> Does anyone have any experience(s) with a good utility for doing this?
> I've seen a few scripts online for accomplishing this but I'm not sure
> how these scripts would handle the large amount of output that emerge
> generates from all the servers simultaneously.
>
> Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

I thought we answered this for you two days ago?

Put the same world and config on every machine, and build everything on one
host called the binhost.

emerge -k on every machine will pull binary packages from the binhost. This is
identical to working with say Ubuntu, except that it's not a maintainer
building packages and putting them on a remote repo, it's you doing it and
putting the packages on a machine on your local network.

clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge -avuND
world everywhere

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Donnerstag 29 Oktober 2009 19:36:27 schrieb James:
> I have a cluster of Gentoo boxes I'd like to update all at once, along
> with emerging specific packages to the servers simultaneously.
>
> Does anyone have any experience(s) with a good utility for doing this?

Try out the debian (cough) distributed shell (dsh).

HTH...

Dirk

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM
James

Thanks for the response, Alan. I haven't posted on this alias in many
months, so it wasn't me who asked 2 days ago. (nor do I see a
similar thread from two days ago, but it may have been sent to the bit
bucket, so I can't be certain)

Thanks!
-j

Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
James

I'll definitely take a look at this, Dirk. I just took a look at the
dsh site and it looks pretty interesting. I'll have to try various
different solutions (clusterssh, dsh, etc.) to get a good feel for the
pros and cons of each.

-j

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:44:57 -0400, James wrote:

> I'll definitely take a look at this, Dirk. I just took a look at the
> dsh site and it looks pretty interesting. I'll have to try various
> different solutions (clusterssh, dsh, etc.) to get a good feel for
> the pros and cons of each.

There's also tentakel, just as you were ready to make a choice

--
Neil Bothwick

Standard: (n., adj.) a design target which manufacturers may embellish,
improve upon, or ignore as they wish, so long as it can be used profitably
in their advertising.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Arnau Bria

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:52:31 +0000
Neil Bothwick wrote:

Hi Neil,

> There's also tentakel, just as you were ready to make a choice
I'm taking a look on it, but are few examples...

how does tentakel behaves when passing | , $, etc.. ?

Cheers

--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net

Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:42:39 +0100, Arnau Bria wrote:

> > There's also tentakel, just as you were ready to make a choice
> I'm taking a look on it, but are few examples...
>
> how does tentakel behaves when passing | , $, etc.. ?

The commands are executed in a remote shell, but interpreted by the local
shell when you call tentakel. So if you want a variable or pipe to be
referenced on the remote shell, you'll have to quote or escape it.

--
Neil Bothwick

COBOL: Completely Obsolete Business Oriented Language

Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM
he zhitong

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM, James <jtp@nc.rr.com> wrote:

I have a cluster of Gentoo boxes I'd like to update all at once, along

with emerging specific packages to the servers simultaneously.

Does anyone have any experience(s) with a good utility for doing this?

I've seen a few scripts online for accomplishing this but I'm not sure

how these scripts would handle the large amount of output that emerge

generates from all the servers simultaneously.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

-j

you can use screen, introduced in last GMN.
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20081130-newsletter.xml