Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
James

Default comparing two complex directories

All,

I'm trying to find a good way to compare two complex directory
structures to see what files differ. I've looked at a few different

- rsync dry run (someone said this should work, but I'm having trouble
getting good information out of this)
- diff -rq (this works, but it's sloowwwwww)

I've used cdircmp before but it tends to crash on complex directories
(a directory with more than a few subdirs and with hidden dot files).

Thoughts? Any specific / good utilities for doing this?

-j

Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
James Ausmus

I'm trying to find a good way to compare two complex directory

structures to see what files differ. I've looked at a few different

- rsync dry run (someone said this should work, but I'm having trouble

getting good information out of this)

- diff -rq (this works, but it's sloowwwwww)

I've used cdircmp before but it tends to crash on complex directories

(a directory with more than a few subdirs and with hidden dot files).

Thoughts? Any specific / good utilities for doing this?

I've had good luck with dev-util/dirdiff before...
-James
*

-j

Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Florian Philipp

James schrieb:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to find a good way to compare two complex directory
> structures to see what files differ. I've looked at a few different
>
> - rsync dry run (someone said this should work, but I'm having trouble
> getting good information out of this)
> - diff -rq (this works, but it's sloowwwwww)
>
> I've used cdircmp before but it tends to crash on complex directories
> (a directory with more than a few subdirs and with hidden dot files).
>
> Thoughts? Any specific / good utilities for doing this?
>
> -j

Meld, KDiff3?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> James schrieb:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm trying to find a good way to compare two complex directory
> > structures to see what files differ. I've looked at a few different
> >
> > - rsync dry run (someone said this should work, but I'm having trouble
> > getting good information out of this)
> > - diff -rq (this works, but it's sloowwwwww)
> >
> > I've used cdircmp before but it tends to crash on complex directories
> > (a directory with more than a few subdirs and with hidden dot files).
> >
> > Thoughts? Any specific / good utilities for doing this?

star -c -diff -v -C from-dir . to-dir

Check diffopts= to learn how to tell star what to compare.

It is fast, compares all file attributes and it does not go into loops if you
encounter symlinks to directories.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)