Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default hal greps my USB printer - help !

Hi,

on one of my identical (believed) machines,
hal greps the USB printer and disables CUPS.

I.e. on one machine hal-device | grep -i kyocera
shows that hal has grepped it.
On an identical machine (with a HP printer)
hal_device shows nothing relevant to that printer
and CUPS is working on that machine when printing to
that printer.

How can I stop hal grepping the printer or how can I
make hal cooperative with cups (1.4.1)

Many thanks,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
walt

On 10/29/2009 08:11 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on one of my identical (believed) machines,
> hal greps the USB printer and disables CUPS...

Could you be more specific about 'disables'? I use an HP
USB printer on a machine running cupsd and hal, and it works
perfectly:

printer.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_3f0_1617_00CNBM369103_if0' (string)
printer.vendor = 'Hewlett-Packard' (string)
printer.product = 'hp LaserJet 3015' (string)

I think the problem must be something besides hal, but what?

Is cups really running on the problem machine? Can you talk
to cupsd using your web browser at http://localhost:631? If
yes, does the printer show up in the list of known printers?
If not, can you add it to the list of known printers?