Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
James

Default removing kde4(sets)

Hello,

I've decided to just completely remove kde4(sets)
and install kde4-meta.

Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
I have to do it manually?

I have some kde-3.5.10 and dependent packages, I'd like to retain,
so keep that in mind with any suggestions.
(kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 and 4.2.4-r4)

tia,
James

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:04:47 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> I've decided to just completely remove kde4(sets)
> and install kde4-meta.

> Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
> I have to do it manually?

The set and the meta-package pull in basically the same packages. Unmerge
the set, emerge kde-meta then do a depclean to catch any stragglers.

--
Neil Bothwick

Confucius say :
He who play in root, eventually kill tree!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:04:47 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
>
>> I've decided to just completely remove kde4(sets)
>> and install kde4-meta.
>
>> Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
>> I have to do it manually?
>
> The set and the meta-package pull in basically the same packages. Unmerge
> the set, emerge kde-meta then do a depclean to catch any stragglers.

I would just delete the set from the world_sets file, then emerge
kde-meta, then depclean... much easier than unmerging everything and
recompiling it.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:45:54 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
> >> I have to do it manually?
> >
> > The set and the meta-package pull in basically the same packages.
> > Unmerge the set, emerge kde-meta then do a depclean to catch any
> > stragglers.
>
> I would just delete the set from the world_sets file, then emerge
> kde-meta, then depclean... much easier than unmerging everything and
> recompiling it.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I was thinking that unmerging a set was like
unmerging a meta-package, that only the set itself would go.

--
Neil Bothwick

If nothing sticks to Teflon, how do they stick teflon on the pan?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 29 October 2009 17:04:47 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've decided to just completely remove kde4(sets)
> and install kde4-meta.
>

> Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
> I have to do it manually?

A set is nothing more than a list of packages. You can even think of it as
putting the entire set in world, with the additional feature of portage
knowing what is in a set (so you cna merge and unmerge it with one command.

Remove the offending lines from /var/lib/portage/world_sets, then merge the
-meta packages you want, finally --depclean to take away those you don't want.
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> > The set and the meta-package pull in basically the same packages.
>> > Unmerge the set, emerge kde-meta then do a depclean to catch any
>> > stragglers.
>>
>> I would just delete the set from the world_sets file, then emerge
>> kde-meta, then depclean... much easier than unmerging everything and
>> recompiling it.
>
> Sorry, that's what I meant. I was thinking that unmerging a set was like
> unmerging a meta-package, that only the set itself would go.

Ah, okay, we meant the same thing then. AFAK emerge -C @set will
remove everything in @set but there's no portage command to remove the
set definition without unmerging what's in it. I could be wrong on
that, though.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 29 October 2009 21:17:23 Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> I would just delete the set from the world_sets file, then emerge
> >> kde-meta, then depclean... much easier than unmerging everything and
> >> recompiling it.
> >
> > Sorry, that's what I meant. I was thinking that unmerging a set was like
> > unmerging a meta-package, that only the set itself would go.
>
> Ah, okay, we meant the same thing then. AFAK emerge -C @set will
> remove everything in @set but there's no portage command to remove the
> set definition without unmerging what's in it. I could be wrong on
> that, though.

You could be wrong, but you are not :-)

Your understanding of emerge -C @<set> is correct.

Portage treats the contents of a set as strictly depending on the set itself.
So there is no way to remove a set definition and leave it's child packages
intact - they would then be orphans.

Unless of course the child packages are themselves in world or depend on
something in world. But that's a side-effect of something else altogether and
not relevant to set behaviour.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:17:23 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> > Sorry, that's what I meant. I was thinking that unmerging a set was
> > like unmerging a meta-package, that only the set itself would go.
>
> Ah, okay, we meant the same thing then. AFAK emerge -C @set will
> remove everything in @set but there's no portage command to remove the
> set definition without unmerging what's in it. I could be wrong on
> that, though.

You're wrong about that because you're right - I was wrong.

--
Neil Bothwick

This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot

Old 10-30-2009, 05:53 PM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Remove the offending lines from /var/lib/portage/world_sets, then merge the
> -meta packages you want, finally --depclean to take away those you don't want.

I'm sure glad, the '3 wisemen' (wiseguys?) all agree.
Planets now converging;
World peace is imminent;
and I shall have a good night sleep.....
AAU Basketball (tournament) all day;
then KDE4 adventures!

thx,
James

Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 30 October 2009 20:53:24 James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Remove the offending lines from /var/lib/portage/world_sets, then merge
> > the -meta packages you want, finally --depclean to take away those you
> > don't want.
>
> I'm sure glad, the '3 wisemen' (wiseguys?) all agree.
> Planets now converging;
> World peace is imminent;
> and I shall have a good night sleep.....
> AAU Basketball (tournament) all day;

basketball you say? I dunno much about basketball, but ...

tomorrow I shall take myself off to see my special good friend Peter who is
giving me a fantastic deal on a brand new mother of a motorcycle. And in the
afternoon I shall watch the Blue Bulls thrash the living daylights out of the
FreeState Cheetahs in the Currie Cup rugby final.

Oh wait, that's all ZA stuff. You probably have no idea what I'm on about :-)

Enjoy your game!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com