Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
James

Default Re (DONE): kde4 upgrading

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> I think that alternative methods of approaching system administration
> are sure to bring their own problems and require an investment of time
> to implement, but I don't see how upgrading machines one by one is
> sustainable. Honestly, it would be driving me crazy to be in your
> position, and I think some other alternative might well show time and
> hassle saved once it's up and running.

OK guys.
Thanks for the unecessary tongue lashing.
The systems rarely are at my location. I just cannot upgrade them
at my decision, as they belong to others.

Some of the machines I do not physically get for 6 months at a time.
Sure, I could hack something together, but, imho it would make much
more sense for a common method, as I'm certain I not the only one with
this issue. I install Gentoo on systems for lots of folks (cause the
install process is a pain for those without thick skin...) I have been
reluctant to try the 10 install disk, as I have too many bad memories
of install disks...... I hack my installs now.

Some take over admin, some ask for help, some work too much and hate parting
with machines. Many are dual boot running windows software that cannot
run under linux or wine or vmware (mostly embedded development proprietary
development software).

I'm not willing to invest the time to figure this out nor go it alone.
Somebody puts it together, I'll test it and use it.

So, KDE-meta is just fine, for now, cause the rest of Gentoo is just fine.
It's X and KDE4 that are the time_sink for me.

thx,
James

Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Stroller

Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

I think that alternative methods of approaching system administration
are sure to bring their own problems and require an investment of
time

to implement, but I don't see how upgrading machines one by one is
sustainable. Honestly, it would be driving me crazy to be in your
position, and I think some other alternative might well show time and
hassle saved once it's up and running.

Thanks for the unecessary tongue lashing.
The systems rarely are at my location. I just cannot upgrade them
at my decision, as they belong to others.

Some of the machines I do not physically get for 6 months at a time.

I didn't intend to give you a tongue-lashing, and I'm sorry if I
offended you. I was just trying to help and suggest a better way.

Obviously, I didn't know that the machines are in diverse locations,
and obviously that makes a unified strategy impossible. I fear there's
very little you can do, except log in remotely and regularly,
allowing you to minimise update hassles and become familiar with
issues as they are current.

Stroller.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 29 October 2009 16:59:24 James wrote:
> Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
> > I think that alternative methods of approaching system administration
> > are sure to bring their own problems and require an investment of time
> > to implement, but I don't see how upgrading machines one by one is
> > sustainable. Honestly, it would be driving me crazy to be in your
> > position, and I think some other alternative might well show time and
> > hassle saved once it's up and running.
>
> OK guys.
> Thanks for the unecessary tongue lashing.
> The systems rarely are at my location. I just cannot upgrade them
> at my decision, as they belong to others.

Ah. That explains a lot.

You can ignore my other mail of 10 minutes ago about updating multiple
machines simultaneously.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com