Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Harry Putnam

Default emerge advises upgrade profile

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

>> Alan, what does it get you? In fact what does `developer' buy you?
>
> x86/10.0 gives you a baseline for that release
> x86/10.0/desktop|developer|server give you a profile more suited (tweaked) for
> that kind of usage.

[...]

Nice.. thanks
I see I already have most of use flags in the desktop, and already
have apache and mysql too.. so looks like I'm good to go but for
changing the symlink.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 18:52:33 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Alan, what does it get you? In fact what does `developer' buy you?
> >
> > x86/10.0 gives you a baseline for that release
> > x86/10.0/desktop|developer|server give you a profile more suited
> > (tweaked) for that kind of usage.
>
> [...]
>
> Nice.. thanks
> I see I already have most of use flags in the desktop, and already
> have apache and mysql too.. so looks like I'm good to go but for
> changing the symlink.

A useful side-effect showed up with profiles in the last few days.
Openoffice.org integration with KDE is broken - sometimes it doesn't build,
sometimes it doesn't run and as the devs try out new patches it actually
sometimes works :-)

As a user, you want to be insulated from this nonsense of stuff breaking
mysteriously. So appropriate masks go into profiles, where you simply cannot
enable a certain USE flag for a specific package if it will not work.

This particular case went into base/ so every profile benefited. But if it
affected just say Intel, then the current x86 and amd64 profiles desktop could
have been updated and you would benefit. Using an ultra-minimal (or not
supported anymore) profile, you wouldn't.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> x86/10.0 gives you a baseline for that release
>>> x86/10.0/desktop|developer|server give you a profile more suited
>>> (tweaked) for that kind of usage.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Nice.. thanks
>> I see I already have most of use flags in the desktop, and already
>> have apache and mysql too.. so looks like I'm good to go but for
>> changing the symlink.
>>

> A useful side-effect showed up with profiles in the last few days.
> Openoffice.org integration with KDE is broken - sometimes it doesn't build,
> sometimes it doesn't run and as the devs try out new patches it actually
> sometimes works :-)

So this is why OOo won't compile all of a sudden. May have to put -kde
in package.use then. See if that helps.

Thanks Alan.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. Should I report the failure or do they already know about this?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 29 October 2009 00:03:36 Dale wrote:

> So this is why OOo won't compile all of a sudden. May have to put -kde
> in package.use then. See if that helps.
>
> Thanks Alan.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> P. S. Should I report the failure or do they already know about this?

The bug report shows it's been changed back and forth several times recently.
So yeah, the devs know about it :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com