Old 10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Grant

Default public mail server for ELOG?

I'd like to receive ELOG messages in my inbox, but I'm hesitant to
leave my mail server's userasswd in plain text in /etc/make.conf.
Do there exist public mail servers where I can send messages like this
to be delivered? I guess that's called an open replay? If I use my
ISP's mail server, should it still work when on a different ISP?

- Grant

Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 28 Oktober 2009, Grant wrote:
> I'd like to receive ELOG messages in my inbox, but I'm hesitant to
> leave my mail server's userasswd in plain text in /etc/make.conf.

what?

> Do there exist public mail servers where I can send messages like this
> to be delivered? I guess that's called an open replay?

I hope none are left. Those are SPAM boxes.

Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a password?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 28.10.2009 17:47, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

> Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a password?

I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
store username and password in the config file of that relay.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 19:35:00 Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:
> Am 28.10.2009 17:47, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a
> > password?
>
> I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
> install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
> store username and password in the config file of that relay.

You don't need a mailserver. Drop a text file formatted as mail in the admin
users maildir, and point the mail client at it as just another source of mail.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 28.10.2009 18:59, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009 19:35:00 Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:
>> Am 28.10.2009 17:47, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
>>> Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a
>>> password?
>>
>> I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
>> install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
>> store username and password in the config file of that relay.
>
> You don't need a mailserver. Drop a text file formatted as mail in the admin
> users maildir, and point the mail client at it as just another source of mail.

That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
the logfiles from portage in /var/log/

But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
do, as it is no problem with portage at all.

My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
running on his maschine.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 28 Oktober 2009, Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:
> Am 28.10.2009 18:59, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> >>
> >> I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
> >> install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
> >> store username and password in the config file of that relay.
> >
> > You don't need a mailserver. Drop a text file formatted as mail in the
> > admin users maildir, and point the mail client at it as just another
> > source of mail.
>
> That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
> maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
> the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
>
> But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
> do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
>
> My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
> running on his maschine.
>
> Greetings
>
> Sebastian

then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.

mail is just an additional bonus feature.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:44:59 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
> > maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
> > the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
> >
> > But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
> > do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
> >
> > My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
> > running on his maschine.
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > Sebastian
> >

> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
>
> mail is just an additional bonus feature.

His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his inbox at
his ISP. Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP so they are
accessible at multiple locations.

Sebastian,

Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
make.conf

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 28.10.2009 19:57, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:44:59 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
>>> maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
>>> the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
>>>
>>> But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
>>> do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
>>>
>>> My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
>>> running on his maschine.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>

>> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
>>
>> mail is just an additional bonus feature.
>>

> His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his inbox at
> his ISP.

NO.. As I am NOT Grant I don't said that.
My Mail was more a reply to Volker Armin Hemmann to show that not
everyone has a local mailserver running (what Volker implied)

> Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP so they are
> accessible at multiple locations.

Yes, that would be great.

> Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
> login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
> make.conf

That sounds great, I absolutly going to look at it. Thanks for the tip,
maybe that is something for Grant too.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Grant

>> > That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
>> > maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
>> > the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
>> >
>> > But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
>> > do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
>> >
>> > My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
>> > running on his maschine.
>> >
>> > Greetings
>> >
>> > Sebastian
>> >

>> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
>>
>> mail is just an additional bonus feature.
>>

> His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his inbox at
> his ISP. Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP so they are
> accessible at multiple locations.
>
> Sebastian,
>
> Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
> login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
> make.conf

Could I use ssmtp to send elog mail to my email address? I wouldn't
even need a login password if this is all I use it for, right?

- Gra t

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 21:27:48 Grant wrote:

> >> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
> >>
> >> mail is just an additional bonus feature.
> >
> > His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his
> > inbox at his ISP. Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP
> > so they are accessible at multiple locations.
> >
> > Sebastian,
> >
> > Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
> > login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
> > make.conf
>
> Could I use ssmtp to send elog mail to my email address? I wouldn't
> even need a login password if this is all I use it for, right?

Yes.

ssmtp is an email sender, it knows how to talk smtp to receiving servers or to
relays. It doesn't receive mails.

If the relay you use requires a username/password or ssl, it supports that
too.

[The receiving smtp server likely does not require a username/password, but it
is equally likely to not accept connection direct from you, hence you should
use your ISPs mail relay]

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com