Old 01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Grant

Default USB Wireless Network Adapter?

Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?

- Grant

Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Grant

> Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
>
> - Grant

I do need it to be compatible with WPA.

- Grant

Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
"AJ Spagnoletti"

On Jan 2, 2008 2:50 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I do need it to be compatible with WPA.

Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps

AJ

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
"AJ Spagnoletti"

> Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
> sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
> the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps
>
> AJ

Sorry for the typo that should say rt73 chip not trip

Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Grant

> > > Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > I do need it to be compatible with WPA.
> >

> Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
> sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
> the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps
>
> AJ

I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
ralink drivers but no rt73.

- Grant

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
"AJ Spagnoletti"

> I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> ralink drivers but no rt73.
>

> - Grant

I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
wouldn't work.

AJ

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT73

Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Grant

> > I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> > with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> > ralink drivers but no rt73.
> >

> > - Grant
> > --
> >

> I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
> encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
> back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
> link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
> havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
> wouldn't work.

No need for you to test. I'm going to buy one right now and I'll
report back with my results. There are some ebuilds I'll try for the
rt73 driver on bugs.gentoo.org.

- Grant

Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Grant

> > > I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> > > with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> > > ralink drivers but no rt73.
> > >

> > > - Grant
> > > --
> > >

> > I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
> > encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
> > back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
> > link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
> > havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
> > wouldn't work.
>
> No need for you to test. I'm going to buy one right now and I'll
> report back with my results. There are some ebuilds I'll try for the
> rt73 driver on bugs.gentoo.org.
>
> - Grant

Nightmare so far. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

- Grant

Old 01-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-01-02, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?

I've got a Hawking HWUG1 that has always worked fine with the
rt73 driver.

--
Grant

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 AM
TimeBreach

I'm using ASUS WL-167g USB WLAN (rt73usb) and work well with or without
WPA_SUPPLICANT.

driver is already integrated in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (2.6.24-rc5)