-   -   USB Wireless Network Adapter? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/27050-usb-wireless-network-adapter.html)

Grant 01-02-2008 06:31 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?

- Grant

Grant 01-02-2008 06:50 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
>
> - Grant

I do need it to be compatible with WPA.

- Grant

"AJ Spagnoletti" 01-02-2008 07:01 PM

On Jan 2, 2008 2:50 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I do need it to be compatible with WPA.

Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps

AJ

"AJ Spagnoletti" 01-02-2008 07:02 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
> sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
> the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps
>
> AJ

Sorry for the typo that should say rt73 chip not trip

Grant 01-02-2008 07:14 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> > > Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > I do need it to be compatible with WPA.
> >

> Linksys makes the WUSB54GC I believe its called, I am using it on my
> sisters computer, I havent tested it under gentoo but it is based on
> the rt73 trip and works fine under Ubuntu. Hope this helps
>
> AJ

I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
ralink drivers but no rt73.

- Grant

"AJ Spagnoletti" 01-02-2008 07:27 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> ralink drivers but no rt73.
>

> - Grant

I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
wouldn't work.

AJ

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT73

Grant 01-02-2008 08:01 PM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> > I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> > with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> > ralink drivers but no rt73.
> >

> > - Grant
> > --
> >

> I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
> encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
> back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
> link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
> havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
> wouldn't work.

No need for you to test. I'm going to buy one right now and I'll
report back with my results. There are some ebuilds I'll try for the
rt73 driver on bugs.gentoo.org.

- Grant

Grant 01-03-2008 01:49 AM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> > > I was actually just researching that exact one. Have you tested it
> > > with WPA? Which driver are you using? gentoo-portage.com lists a few
> > > ralink drivers but no rt73.
> > >

> > > - Grant
> > > --
> > >

> > I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
> > encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
> > back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
> > link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
> > havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
> > wouldn't work.
>
> No need for you to test. I'm going to buy one right now and I'll
> report back with my results. There are some ebuilds I'll try for the
> rt73 driver on bugs.gentoo.org.
>
> - Grant

Nightmare so far. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

- Grant

Grant Edwards 01-03-2008 02:11 AM

On 2008-01-02, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a USB wireless network adapter that works on Gentoo?

I've got a Hawking HWUG1 that has always worked fine with the
rt73 driver.

--
Grant

TimeBreach 01-03-2008 02:51 AM

USB Wireless Network Adapter?

I'm using ASUS WL-167g USB WLAN (rt73usb) and work well with or without
WPA_SUPPLICANT.

driver is already integrated in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (2.6.24-rc5)