Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Grant

Default USB Wireless Network Adapter?

> I'm using ASUS WL-167g USB WLAN (rt73usb) and work well with or without
> WPA_SUPPLICANT.
>
> driver is already integrated in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (2.6.24-rc5)

I can't get any of the rt* ebuilds to compile except for CVS rt73-9999
from bugs.gentoo.org and that one doesn't work with wpa_supplicant. I
think the others won't compile because of my 64 bits (again). rt2x00
includes an rt73 driver but it requires 2.6.24. hardened-sources
isn't there yet and configuring a new kernel is such a pain. I know
I'd end up with a bunch of new problems. ndiswrapper is also a no-go
unless I can find 64-bit XP drivers that work.

- Grant

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Grant

> I'm using ASUS WL-167g USB WLAN (rt73usb) and work well with or without
> WPA_SUPPLICANT.
>
> driver is already integrated in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (2.6.24-rc5)

Where do you see that driver? I'm giving vanilla-sources-2.6.24-rc6 a
try and I don't see it.

- Grant

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Grant

> > I'm using ASUS WL-167g USB WLAN (rt73usb) and work well with or without
> > WPA_SUPPLICANT.
> >
> > driver is already integrated in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (2.6.24-rc5)
>
> Where do you see that driver? I'm giving vanilla-sources-2.6.24-rc6 a
> try and I don't see it.
>
> - Grant

> > > I haven't tested the WPA yet, I know it works well with a WEP
> > > encryption. I can test WPA tomorrow while everyone is at work and get
> > > back to you with those results. I used the CVS driver provided at this
> > > link [1] and followed the directions posted here [2]. Like I said I
> > > havent tested under gentoo, but I see no reason why the drivers
> > > wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > AJ
> > >
> > > [1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
> > > [2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT73

I can't believe it but this is now working with the rt2x00 driver
built into 2.6.24. The rt2x00 ebuild still won't compile for me
though.

- Grant

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
TimeBreach

Actually i'm using vanilla-sources just for rt73usb driver.
I've Gentoo 64Bit too.
Before i used Gentoo-Sources.
I just copy my .config from Gentoo Sources to Vanilla Sources and i have
no issue (since 2 month).

Old 01-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Grant

> Actually i'm using vanilla-sources just for rt73usb driver.
> I've Gentoo 64Bit too.
> Before i used Gentoo-Sources.
> I just copy my .config from Gentoo Sources to Vanilla Sources and i have
> no issue (since 2 month).

Nice, we're doing the same thing then. Did you place the firmware in
/lib/firmware manually like I did?

- Grant

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
TimeBreach

For rt73usb no firmware is needed. Just use vanilla kernel built-in module.

as i did:

CONFIG_RT2X00=m
CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB=m
CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_USB=m
CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_FIRMWARE=y
# CONFIG_RT2400PCI is not set
# CONFIG_RT2500PCI is not set
# CONFIG_RT61PCI is not set
# CONFIG_RT2500USB is not set
CONFIG_RT73USB=m
CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_DEBUGFS=y
CONFIG_RT2X00_DEBUG=y

With:

[i] sys-kernel/vanilla-sources
Installed versions: 2.6.24_rc5(2.6.24_rc5)(02:05:20
16.12.2007)(-build -symlink)
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org

Regards, Kalden.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Grant

> For rt73usb no firmware is needed. Just use vanilla kernel built-in module.
>
> as i did:
>
> CONFIG_RT2X00=m
> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB=m
> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_USB=m
> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_FIRMWARE=y
> # CONFIG_RT2400PCI is not set
> # CONFIG_RT2500PCI is not set
> # CONFIG_RT61PCI is not set
> # CONFIG_RT2500USB is not set
> CONFIG_RT73USB=m
> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_DEBUGFS=y
> CONFIG_RT2X00_DEBUG=y
>
> With:
>
> [i] sys-kernel/vanilla-sources
> Installed versions: 2.6.24_rc5(2.6.24_rc5)(02:05:20
> 16.12.2007)(-build -symlink)
> Homepage: http://www.kernel.org

I'm using vanilla-sources-2.6.24-rc6 and I have the same options
enabled as you except for the debug stuff, but the driver only works
if I have /lib/firmware/rt73.bin which is installed by the
bugs.gentoo.org ebuild for rt73-9999. Can you verify that you don't
have that file?

- Grant