Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Maxim Wexler

Default strange dmesg output - RESOLVED

>> So, since in the digital world, things don't "just happen", can
>> someone enlighten me, or anyone else who's interested, in the
>> connection between the scrollback buffer and usb-storage, if any?
>

> There isn't a connection. Why do you think there is one?

Because, before the scrollback buffer was configured, when I ran
$dmesg|less the output, ie more that 2700 lines, that came up in the
console, all started with 'usb-storage'. After configuring the
scrollback buffer, there may have been a few usb-console lines but
certainly not 2700, and nothing else, one right after another.

I understand it makes no sense to say there is a connection but that
is what I saw.

It may have been intermittant. I notice with successive reboots of
2.6.30, /dev/sdb1,2, which contain /home and /var are sometimes not
found and not mounted; sometimes not found but mounted anyways;
sometimes found and mounted as per /etc/fstab. If it happens enough
times, I suppose a pattern will emerge but I haven't seen it yet.

mw

Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 09:10:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> You enabled scrollback so now the console has retained enough of the kernel
> console output that you can scroll back to the beginning without using all
> 128K.
>

> Symbol: VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE [=256]
> Prompt: Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
> Defined at drivers/video/console/Kconfig:37
> Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && VT && VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK
>
> Symbol: VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK [=y]
> Prompt: Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
> Defined at drivers/video/console/Kconfig:22
> Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && VT && VGA_CONSOLE

Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that on my
system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a command,
e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I cannot scroll
up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that I need to set up in
the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different machine?) I used to be able to
scroll up in both.

$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SCROLLBACK
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK=y
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE=128
Mick

Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 03:50:56 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> >> So, since in the digital world, things don't "just happen", can
> >> someone enlighten me, or anyone else who's interested, in the
> >> connection between the scrollback buffer and usb-storage, if any?
> >
> > There isn't a connection. Why do you think there is one?
>
> Because, before the scrollback buffer was configured, when I ran
> $dmesg|less the output, ie more that 2700 lines, that came up in the
> console, all started with 'usb-storage'. After configuring the
> scrollback buffer, there may have been a few usb-console lines but
> certainly not 2700, and nothing else, one right after another.
>
> I understand it makes no sense to say there is a connection but that
> is what I saw.
>
> It may have been intermittant. I notice with successive reboots of
> 2.6.30, /dev/sdb1,2, which contain /home and /var are sometimes not
> found and not mounted; sometimes not found but mounted anyways;
> sometimes found and mounted as per /etc/fstab. If it happens enough
> times, I suppose a pattern will emerge but I haven't seen it yet.

I think the presence or absence of your usb-storage debug output is related to
stuff being found or not found, and has nothing whatsoever to do with
scrollback.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Maxim Wexler

> Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that on my
> system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a command,
> e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I cannot scroll
> up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that I need to set up in
> the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different machine?) I used to be able
> scroll up in both.

On my unit, /var/log/messages re-iterates F12. If I want to read it I
use less, tail, grep in a terminal as root.

Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
back, it may not scrollback at all. If I want to see what boot is
doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
another console.

HTH

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:10:52 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that on my
> > system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a
> > command, e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I
> > cannot scroll up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that I
> > need to set up in the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different
> > machine?) I used to be able to
> > scroll up in both.

> Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
> back, it may not scrollback at all. If I want to see what boot is
> doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
> another console.

I think that you may have put your finger on the problem here. I used to run
startx from the console - now run xdm. So it may have been that it worked
back then because I would scroll up before leaving the console. However, I
seem to recall that it also worked with VT12. May be I'm wrong, not sure.
Mick

Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:10:52 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that
on my

> > system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a
> > command, e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I
> > cannot scroll up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that I
> > need to set up in the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different
> > machine?) I used to be able to
> > scroll up in both.

> Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
> back, it may not scrollback at all. If I want to see what boot is
> doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
> another console.

Maxim (or anyone else):
do you know what causes scrollback to be disabled once you move to a
different terminal?

Amit

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 09 November 2009 11:07:15 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:10:52 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > > Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that
>
> on my
>
> > > system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a
> > > command, e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I
> > > cannot scroll up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that
> > > I need to set up in the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different
> > > machine?) I used to be able to
> > > scroll up in both.
> >
> > Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
> > back, it may not scrollback at all. If I want to see what boot is
> > doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
> > another console.
>
> Maxim (or anyone else):
> do you know what causes scrollback to be disabled once you move to a
> different terminal?
> Amit

The scrollback buffer is global, not per-VT

So when you change VT, the buffer must go away other wise you have wrong text
on the wrong terminal.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com