Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default How to configure a recent X11 ?

Hi,

one reads at several places that 'xorg.conf' is dead
we now have to write hal-fdi-policy files.

Especially after upgrading xorg-server X11 doesn't come up
anymore since there is a "race condition" between hal and xorg.

Does anybody know of a "transition guide" on how to
write xorg.conf together with /etc/hal/fdi/policy files.

Many thanks for pointer.
(Currently X11 causes a lot of stress especially if one has to
use the evdev driver)

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one reads at several places that 'xorg.conf' is dead
> we now have to write hal-fdi-policy files.
>
> Especially after upgrading xorg-server X11 doesn't come up
> anymore since there is a "race condition" between hal and xorg.
>
> Does anybody know of a "transition guide" on how to
> write xorg.conf together with /etc/hal/fdi/policy files.
>
> Many thanks for pointer.
> (Currently X11 causes a lot of stress especially if one has to
> use the evdev driver)

Basically, if you want to use the "old" way (xorg.conf), do not emerge
evdev and do not use "hal" use flag in xorg-server. If you want to use
the "new" way, put evdev in your INPUT_DEVICES, put "hal" in USE flags
for xorg-server, make sure hald is emerged and running, make your user
part of plugdev group, make sure "Event interface" is enabled in your
kernel, and customize the FDI files in /etc/hal/policy/ (which contain
the same options as xorg.conf but formatted differently). There are
some sample FDI files in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/.

I think the xorg-server ebuild even converts some of these
automatically, I'm not sure...

Once it is all set, your xorg.conf will contain almost nothing. In my
case it only has the nvidia driver definition... but I don't even have
modelines or anything. It auto-detects my monitor capabilities. Of
course you can override it if you desire.

You can use the FDI files to set up your device-specific preferences
(like button mappings on a touchpad).

Ubuntu's wiki has some good info about input device configuration and
creating the FDI files.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

Good luck,
Paul