Old 03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanasis

Default linux boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources

Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm

Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
KH

Thanasis schrieb:
> Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
> usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm
>
> Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?

Hi,

Tux is on vacation for 2.6.29 He will be back in some month. Tuz is a
animal which might not be very long on earth any more. To get everybody
know about his problem, he is in the kernel, know.

kh

Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE1MA

Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Thanasis schrieb am 25.03.2009 21:50:
> Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
> usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm
>
> Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tux-takes-tasmanian-vacation

Regards,

Daniel

Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 22:50:46 Thanasis wrote:
> Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
> usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm
>
> Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?

It's not a mouse, it's a Tasmanian Devil which isn't a rodent but the worlds
only surviving predatory marsupial. The animal population is under threat from
the only cancer known to science to be transmitted via biting. It affects the
devils around the mouth and jaw (where they routinely bite each other) and is
fatal in every known case within 3 to 9 months.

The most recent Linux Dev Conference was in Australia and included a drive to
raise awareness and funds to help protect this endangered animal.

Our devil has a name - Tuz.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanasis

on 03/25/2009 11:04 PM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 22:50:46 Thanasis wrote:
>
>> Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
>> usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm
>>
>> Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?
>>

> It's not a mouse, it's a Tasmanian Devil which isn't a rodent but the worlds
> only surviving predatory marsupial. The animal population is under threat from
> the only cancer known to science to be transmitted via biting. It affects the
> devils around the mouth and jaw (where they routinely bite each other) and is
> fatal in every known case within 3 to 9 months.
>
> The most recent Linux Dev Conference was in Australia and included a drive to
> raise awareness and funds to help protect this endangered animal.
>
> Our devil has a name - Tuz.

OK. :-)
But I must say, I was a bit shocked, when I first saw it,...I
thought...hey, has my system been compromised ? :-)

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 23:51:30 Thanasis wrote:
> on 03/25/2009 11:04 PM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
> > On Wednesday 25 March 2009 22:50:46 Thanasis wrote:
> >> Has anyone seen the boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources?
> >> usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm
> >>
> >> Why did they substitute the penguin with this ugly disguised mouse?
> >
> > It's not a mouse, it's a Tasmanian Devil which isn't a rodent but the
> > worlds only surviving predatory marsupial. The animal population is under
> > threat from the only cancer known to science to be transmitted via
> > biting. It affects the devils around the mouth and jaw (where they
> > routinely bite each other) and is fatal in every known case within 3 to 9
> > months.
> >
> > The most recent Linux Dev Conference was in Australia and included a
> > drive to raise awareness and funds to help protect this endangered
> > animal.
> >
> > Our devil has a name - Tuz.
>
> OK. :-)
> But I must say, I was a bit shocked, when I first saw it,...I
> thought...hey, has my system been compromised ? :-)

If you were shocked when you saw the carton version, imagine how you will feel
the first time you hear one of them scream in real life!

They howl like a banshee - hence the name "devil"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com