Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
David

Default A blog entry about gentoo

I wrote an entry in my blog about gentoo, and created a little script to make
gentoo handling a bit easier, and whant to share it will all gentoo users to
see if it could help them to understand gentoo better (specially for noob
ones), and simplify its handling.

I think it is not spam, since it could help others (I hope so).

The link: http://stormbyte.blogspot.com/2009/03/gentoo-easy-handling.html

David.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:38:53 +0100, David wrote:

> The link:
> http://stormbyte.blogspot.com/2009/03/gentoo-easy-handling.html

"Gentoo works with two kinds of software trees: the stable tree, and the
unstable one;"

Not true, the two trees are stable and testing. Unstable software is generally
hard-masked. Stable in this context means relatively unchanging, it does
not refer to the propensity, or otherwise, of the software to fall over.

"Unstable means that the package is not tested enough and may harm your
system (other packages depending of it don't work anymore, etc), and it
is not advised to install."

FUD! Testing packages are packages where the EBUILD needs further
testing, How will that happen if no one installs it?

If you want to manage keywords (and USE flags) for packages, you could
try app-portage/flagedit.

--
Neil Bothwick

The word 'Windows' is a word out of an old dialect of the Apaches.
It means: 'White man staring through glass-screen onto an hourglass...')

Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 12:38:53 David wrote:
> I wrote an entry in my blog about gentoo, and created a little script to
> make gentoo handling a bit easier, and whant to share it will all gentoo
> users to see if it could help them to understand gentoo better (specially
> for noob ones), and simplify its handling.
>
> I think it is not spam, since it could help others (I hope so).
>
> The link: http://stormbyte.blogspot.com/2009/03/gentoo-easy-handling.html
>
> David.

It's far too simplistic. It doesn't take account of dependencies that must
also be masked/unmasked/whatever and will cause obscure error messages that
will confuse the user more than simply using portage.

A noob user will realistically expect that if he gives "kde" as a parameter to
your script, then all of kde will immediately be installable. This will
actually not happen though, he will have to read up on dependencies and more,
and unmask those too. By which time he is in a position to not need your
script anymore.

So, as a teaching aid to get people to understand why they must use portage as
designed, it works well. As a script for actual use, it falls short.

You also don't account for the case of /etc/portage/package.mask/<file_name>
To fix that the user will have to read man 5 portage or read the Gentoo docs,
in which case your script again becomes redundant.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com