Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Grant Edwards

Default Floorplan software for Linux?

Is there any usable 2D floorplan software for Linux?

I've tried sweethome3d, but it seems to be missing a lot of
very basic features. The 2D floorplan part of it doesn't seem
to work very well (I don't care about the 3D stuff).

Some people recommend generic 2D mechanical CAD software (e.g.
QCAD, PythonCAD), but that seems like a rather brutal way to
draw floorplans compared to a floorplan program that knows
about walls, windows, and doors and will automatically
dimension rooms and keep walls connected at the corners when
you move them around.

I really don't want to go back to the Windows App I've used in
the past...

--
Grant

Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> Is there any usable 2D floorplan software for Linux?

I'm not aware of anything specifically for floorplans. I think you
might be able to get by with something like Kivio or other Visio
clones.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> Is there any usable 2D floorplan software for Linux?
>
> I've tried sweethome3d, but it seems to be missing a lot of
> very basic features. The 2D floorplan part of it doesn't seem
> to work very well (I don't care about the 3D stuff).
>
> Some people recommend generic 2D mechanical CAD software (e.g.
> QCAD, PythonCAD), but that seems like a rather brutal way to
> draw floorplans compared to a floorplan program that knows
> about walls, windows, and doors and will automatically
> dimension rooms and keep walls connected at the corners when
> you move them around.
>
> I really don't want to go back to the Windows App I've used in
> the past...
>
> --
> Grant

Grant,
You don't want to go back to the windows app, or you don't want to

I'm using a few old windows apps where there is no good OS
alternative within a vmware/Win XP setup. This works fine for me for
the maybe 60 minutes a week I need to use these things.

I looked for the same sort of floor planning software a few years
ago. I found nothing at that time.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-03-25, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is there any usable 2D floorplan software for Linux?
>>
>> I've tried sweethome3d, but it seems to be missing a lot of
>> very basic features. The 2D floorplan part of it doesn't seem
>> to work very well (I don't care about the 3D stuff).
>>
>> Some people recommend generic 2D mechanical CAD software [...]
>>
>> I really don't want to go back to the Windows App I've used in
>> the past...

> You don't want to go back to the windows app, or you don't
> want to go back to running Windows as a platform?

Some of both. The windows app of which I have a copy (Better
Homes & Gardens, IIRC) works well enough when you're editing
the floorplan, but printing is pretty badly broken and required
extensive hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing.

I have a latptop that's set up to dual boot Gentoo and XP. In
the past I booted into XP to run one or two apps (mostly H&R
Block Tax Cut). The NTFS partition is rather small, and
every time I want to do something under windows, I end up having
to futz around trying to free up disk space.

> I'm using a few old windows apps where there is no good OS
> alternative within a vmware/Win XP setup. This works fine for
> me for the maybe 60 minutes a week I need to use these things.

I've used Qemu quite a bit for running Win2K (and eCos), and in
many ways it's a lot easier than running MS-Windows on real
hardware. Maybe I'll try installing the BH&G floorplan program
on Win2K under Qemu.

> I looked for the same sort of floor planning software a few
> years ago. I found nothing at that time.

SweetHome3d is getting pretty close (it didn't exist the last
time I was looing for floor-plan SW). But, it's still lacking a
couple key features that I tend to use frequently. I think I
could get by with SH3D if I gave up on the idea of drawing a
floorplan for an entire level and just did one room per
document.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Of course, you
at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS

Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2009-03-25, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> I have a latptop that's set up to dual boot Gentoo and XP. In
> the past I booted into XP to run one or two apps (mostly H&R
> Block Tax Cut). *The NTFS partition is rather small, and
> every time I want to do something under windows, I end up having
> to futz around trying to free up disk space.

No!! Too hard!

I'm set up the same way on one of my machine but I installed the
Windows ext3 driver. Now my Windows programs can access or even be
installed on a Linux partition. I created a directory on the ext3
drive where I installed the Windows programs and don't have to mess
with these disk space issues anymore. Granted, I wouldn't really trust
this driver on a ext3 partition I *really* cared about so I'm careful
about where I allow it to write, but it does work me and hasn't caused
any problems that I know of in the 2 years I've used it.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

I like the vmware solution better though as I can use Windows from
within Gentoo. It's fun to see a complete Windows desktop in a window,
but it has it's problems also. Overall it's probably the primary way
I'll be going in the future though.

Hope this helps, at least with ideas.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-03-25, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.fs-driver.org/

Cool, I'll have to remember that.

> I like the vmware solution better though as I can use Windows
> from within Gentoo. It's fun to see a complete Windows desktop
> in a window, but it has it's problems also. Overall it's
> probably the primary way I'll be going in the future though.

Back when I used to use Win4Lin to run WinMe, I could even
cut/paste back and forth between Linux and WinMe that was
running in the VM. I haven't ever figured out how to do that
suing Qemu/Win2K.

[WinMe was _way_ more stable and noticably faster in Win4Lin
than it was on real hardware, but none of the current crop of
VM systems use the same sort of virtualization, so they loose
out more on the speed end of things than Win4Lin did.]

> Hope this helps, at least with ideas.

It does, thanks.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hold the MAYO & pass
at the COSMIC AWARENESS ...