Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
laurent

Default cleaning disfiles

Hi,

I need to clean disfiles or move it to /home/var/ftp/disfiles.

For first is there a tool to emerge that will manage the distfiles.

If not I was thinking copy to my home folder and symlink
/var/ftp/distfiles to it.

Is the second safe with just a symlink or should I change a PATH somewhere?

I should do both solution.

thank you
Laurent

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Dale

laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to clean disfiles or move it to /home/var/ftp/disfiles.
>
> For first is there a tool to emerge that will manage the distfiles.
>
> If not I was thinking copy to my home folder and symlink
> /var/ftp/distfiles to it.
>
> Is the second safe with just a symlink or should I change a PATH
> somewhere?
>
> I should do both solution.
>
> thank you
> Laurent

If you need to clean out unneeded tarballs in distfiles, you can use
eclean. It's part of gentoolkit. eclean-dist is the command you are
looking for. eclean-dist -h for more info.

If you want to move the distfiles directory, you can change the path in
make.conf and tell it where the new location is. You will have to copy
the files from the old location to the new location tho.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
laurent

Dale a écrit :

laurent wrote:

[...]

Yes it help, got 50 M clean with eclean.

I looked in make.conf but did not see any 'DISTFILES_PATH'. What should
I add?

my make.conf:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that
automatically built$

# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=k8"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/
ftp://mirror.ovh.net/ge$
USE="-X mmx multilib netboot sse sse2 -gtk -sdl apache2 mysql pam ssl
sasl xml $

FEATURES="-sandbox collision-protect ccache parallel-fetch"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"

source /home/portage/local/layman/make.conf
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/home/portage

Thanks
Laurent

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
darren kirby

quoth the laurent:
>I looked in make.conf but did not see any 'DISTFILES_PATH'. What should
>I add?
> Thanks
> Laurent

DISTDIR=/where/you/want/them

see 'man make.conf' for explanation and more...

-d

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:59:30 +0100, laurent wrote:

> I looked in make.conf but did not see any 'DISTFILES_PATH'. What should
> I add?

DISTDIR - it's described in the make.conf man page.

--
Neil Bothwick

Hyperbole is absolutely the worst mistake you can possibly make

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 23:37:50 laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to clean disfiles or move it to /home/var/ftp/disfiles.
>
> For first is there a tool to emerge that will manage the distfiles.

eclean - part of app-portage/gentoolkit

> If not I was thinking copy to my home folder and symlink
> /var/ftp/distfiles to it.
>
> Is the second safe with just a symlink or should I change a PATH somewhere?

Change DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf to point to the new location

But this is not a good idea, as distfiles will be owned by root or portage and
it's in your home directory owned by you.

Rather leave distfiles where it is, and create a symlink in ~ that points to
distfiles. I can't imagine how your scheme would benefit you in any way.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 23:37:50 laurent wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to clean disfiles or move it to /home/var/ftp/disfiles.
>>
>> For first is there a tool to emerge that will manage the distfiles.
>>

> eclean - part of app-portage/gentoolkit
>

>> If not I was thinking copy to my home folder and symlink
>> /var/ftp/distfiles to it.
>>
>> Is the second safe with just a symlink or should I change a PATH somewhere?
>>

> Change DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf to point to the new location
>
> But this is not a good idea, as distfiles will be owned by root or portage and
> it's in your home directory owned by you.
>
> Rather leave distfiles where it is, and create a symlink in ~ that points to
> distfiles. I can't imagine how your scheme would benefit you in any way.
>

>> I should do both solution.
>>
>> thank you
>> Laurent

I think he is running our of disk space and trying to move it to a
partition that has more space. He didn't say that but I think that is
the issue at hand.

I do suspect that this could cause . . . . issues in the long run.
Permissions is a good one to mention.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
laurent

Dale a écrit :

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

yes it's exactly that, I did not choose the install partitionning. So I
moved portage, www and now disfiles from /var to /home/var.
For the other ones I did add a symlink also. Should I do that for
disfiles? What do you mean by permissions issues ??

Another question about emerge -v world, I go a empty manifest on layman.
What should I do to fix that ?

Thanks!
Laurent

Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
laurent

Alan McKinnon a écrit :

I need to clean disfiles or move it to /home/var/ftp/disfiles.

For first is there a tool to emerge that will manage the distfiles.

eclean - part of app-portage/gentoolkit

If not I was thinking copy to my home folder and symlink
/var/ftp/distfiles to it.

Is the second safe with just a symlink or should I change a PATH somewhere?

Change DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf to point to the new location

But this is not a good idea, as distfiles will be owned by root or portage and
it's in your home directory owned by you.

drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 mar 24 20:19 home

looks owned by root.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:00:15 +0100, laurent wrote:

> yes it's exactly that, I did not choose the install partitionning. So I
> moved portage, www and now disfiles from /var to /home/var.
> For the other ones I did add a symlink also. Should I do that for
> disfiles? What do you mean by permissions issues ??

So you're putting it on the /home partition but not in your home
directory? In that case, permissions are not a problem as the directory
will only be used by portage, just set DISTDIR="/home/distfiles" in
make.conf, no need to mess around with symlinks.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you wont
either. -