Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Paul Hartman

Default dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for reading: No such file or directory

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Alexander Pilipovsky
<alexander.pilipovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan McKinnon написав(ла):
>
> I have no idea, but I imagine
>
> mkdir -p /var/lib/dpkg
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> would be a good first test. Did you even attempt that much?
>
> And why are you installing dpkg on a portage box? That looks like a vast
> file
> collision fsck-fest just waiting to happen
>

> I tried to
>
> mkdir -p /var/lib/dpkg
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/available
> ln /sbin/update-rc /sbin/update-rc.d
> and got a new error, heh
> sh-3.2# dpkg -i nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb
> dpkg: error processing nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb (--install):
> package architecture (i386) does not match system ()
> nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb

Why not use the ebuild for app-cdr/nero?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Alexander Pilipovsky

Paul Hartman написав(ла):

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Alexander Pilipovsky
would be a good first test. Did you even attempt that much?

And why are you installing dpkg on a portage box? That looks like a vast
file
collision fsck-fest just waiting to happen

I tried to

mkdir -p /var/lib/dpkg
touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
touch /var/lib/dpkg/available
ln /sbin/update-rc /sbin/update-rc.d
and got a new error, heh
sh-3.2# dpkg -i nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb
dpkg: error processing nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb (--install):
package architecture (i386) does not match system ()
nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb

Why not use the ebuild for app-cdr/nero?

I used nero in previous listing as example to install, but I get these
errors for any deb

--
Alexander Pilipovsky aka Engraver

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 22:16:46 Alexander Pilipovsky wrote:
> Why not use the ebuild for app-cdr/nero?
>

> I used nero in previous listing as example to install, but I get these
> errors for any deb

I find it's useful to look at error messages. It often tells you what is
wrong:

dpkg: error processing nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb (--install):
package architecture (i386) does not match system ()

dpkg does nto want ot install that .deb on your system as the arch is wrong.
It makes sense, it wouldn't install sparc binaries either. Gentoo doesn't have
an i386 arch, it has x86 and amd64.

But I still feel your whole approach is wrong. Two package managers on one
system? Therein lies madness, and file collisions that will leave you
scratching your head wondering wtf?

The solution is simple:

alien

I know it doesn't do the whole pre- and post- install thing right, but that
doesn't matter as they probably aren't suitable on gentoo anyway. You want the
binaries and a way to extract them.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Paul Hartman

2009/3/24 Alexander Pilipovsky <alexander.pilipovsky@gmail.com>:
> Paul Hartman написав(ла):
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Alexander Pilipovsky
> <alexander.pilipovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Alan McKinnon написав(ла):
>
> I have no idea, but I imagine
>
> mkdir -p /var/lib/dpkg
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> would be a good first test. Did you even attempt that much?
>
> And why are you installing dpkg on a portage box? That looks like a vast
> file
> collision fsck-fest just waiting to happen
>

> I tried to
>
> mkdir -p /var/lib/dpkg
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/available
> ln /sbin/update-rc /sbin/update-rc.d
> and got a new error, heh
> sh-3.2# dpkg -i nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb
> dpkg: error processing nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb (--install):
> package architecture (i386) does not match system ()
> nerolinux-3.5.0.1-x86.deb
>

> Why not use the ebuild for app-cdr/nero?
>

> I used nero in previous listing as example to install, but I get these
> errors for any deb

Well, a .deb is just a tar with special file names inside. You can
untar it, then unpack the data.tar.gz and get the files and try to
install it manually (in a worst case scenario)

I haven't tried dpkg to install a .deb so I am of no use...