Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
James

Default kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages

Hello,

Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
kde-4.2.1.

I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
(I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)

Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]

I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.

Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
of kdelibs installed at the same time?
My gut tells me NO?

What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
just fine.

So what I think I need to do (again) is

Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
(syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)

emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
emerge --depclean -a

and then watch closely what I emerge?
???

obviously confused,

James

Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, James wrote:

> Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> of kdelibs installed at the same time?
> My gut tells me NO?

your guts tell you wrong
a) kde3 is installed into /usr/kde/3.5
b) kde4 is either in /usr or /usr/kde/4.X (kdeprefix useflag, use it)

> Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?

why?

> (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
>
> emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
> emerge --depclean -a

emerge -C @kde-3.5?
if your portage version supports sets.

> and then watch closely what I emerge?

maybe. But that you have to do always so...?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 19:26:45 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
> kde-4.2.1.
>
> I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
> I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
> (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
>

> Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
>
> I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
> of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
> However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
> time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
>

> Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> of kdelibs installed at the same time?
> My gut tells me NO?

Yes, you can. In fact, this is the whole point of SLOTs. The versions are kept
separate by putting them in different directories. KDE-3.5 stuff always goes
in /usr/kde/3.5 whereas KDE-4 can go in one of two places depending on the
setting of the kdeprefix USE flag:

with USE=kdeprefix /usr/kde/4.x
with USE=-kdeprefix /usr/

The apps don't get confused becuase when they are built and linked, the
relevant tools are instructed where the correct libs are. So, KDE-4 apps do
not get told to link against KDE-3.5 libraries. If they do, then it is a bug.

> What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
> Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
> run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
> just fine.

As it is supposed to.

> So what I think I need to do (again) is
>
> Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?

Not really necessary

> (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
>
> emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
> emerge --depclean -a
>
> and then watch closely what I emerge?

Honestly, the best way is to just not install stuff that needs kde-3.5
packages. I use KDE-4, but I still have kdelibs-3.5 installed - I have a few
3.5 apps that are not yet ported to 4 (like luma). Getting to this point can
happen in several ways, depending on how you installed kde-3.5 originally.

1. If you ran 'emerge kde' and have monolithic versions, get rid of them with
emerge -C (or just delete them out of your world file).

2. If you emerge the kde -meta ebuilds, then unmerge them (or delete them from
world)

3. If you installed a bunch of kde apps individually, then find them in world
and delete them.

Now run 'emerge -av --depclean' and closely inspect what portage wants to
nuke. With luck, it'll be a whole horde of 3.5 stuff, so let it rip when you
are happy with it. Then run 'emerge -pvuND world' and see if portage wants to
re-install anything from kde-3.5 (this is indeed highly likely...). Now use
your various portage tools (q, equery, etc) to find out why portage wants to
add 3.5 apps back in, and deal with that issue. One at a time. Rinse, repeat
in a recursive process till 3.5 is gone.

You don't really need to mask anything, unless you are a thick idiot who never
checks emerge output before giving the go-ahead. Previous posts from you
suggest that "thick idiot" is not an accurate description :-)

Avoiding having kde-3.5 stuff installed is exactly the same as avoiding having
firefox installed - don't emerge it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

James wrote:

Hello,

Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
kde-4.2.1.

I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
(I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)

Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]

I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.

Hmm, IIRC, there were problems with 3.5.9 + 4.x (mentioned in this list
even). I think it's best to upgrade to 3.5.10 first before installing
4.2.1.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
> kde-4.2.1.
>
> I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
> I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
> (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
>

> Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
>
> I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
> of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
> However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
> time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
>

> Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> of kdelibs installed at the same time?
> My gut tells me NO?
>

> What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
> Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
> run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
> just fine.
>
> So what I think I need to do (again) is
>
> Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
> (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
>
> emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
> emerge --depclean -a
>
> and then watch closely what I emerge?
> ???
>

> obviously confused,
>
> James

I have all of KDE4 installed, and no trace of kde3 (including its
kdelibs). /Something/ in your world is requiring KDE3 libs still. Find
it and unmerge it and you'll be all set. Also check your world file to
make sure all of your KDE-related things have slots defined.

You shouldn't need to mask anything. You can unmerge kdelibs-3xx and
then update world with --tree --pretend. If it tries to pull in
kdelibs 3 again, you can see which package requires it. Then you can
unmerge that package

Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
>> kde-4.2.1.
>>
>> I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
>> I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
>> (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
>>

>> Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
>>
>> I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
>> of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
>> However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
>> time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
>>

>> Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
>> of kdelibs installed at the same time?
>> My gut tells me NO?
>>

>> What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
>> Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
>> run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
>> just fine.
>>
>> So what I think I need to do (again) is
>>
>> Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
>> (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
>>
>> emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
>> emerge --depclean -a
>>
>> and then watch closely what I emerge?
>> ???
>>

>> obviously confused,
>>
>> James
>
> I have all of KDE4 installed, and no trace of kde3 (including its
> kdelibs). /Something/ in your world is requiring KDE3 libs still. Find
> it and unmerge it and you'll be all set. Also check your world file to
> make sure all of your KDE-related things have slots defined.
>
> You shouldn't need to mask anything. You can unmerge kdelibs-3xx and
> then update world with --tree --pretend. If it tries to pull in
> kdelibs 3 again, you can see which package requires it. Then you can
> unmerge that package

Actually you can probably just do "emerge -pv --depclean kdelibs:3.5"
to see what depends on kdelibs:3.5

Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 AM
wireless@tampabay.rr.com

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> > Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> > of kdelibs installed at the same time?
> > My gut tells me NO?

> your guts tell you wrong
> a) kde3 is installed into /usr/kde/3.5
> b) kde4 is either in /usr or /usr/kde/4.X (kdeprefix useflag, use it)

yep, agreed.

thx
James

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 AM
James

Old 03-25-2009, 04:16 AM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
> > of kdelibs installed at the same time?

> Yes, you can.

Right,

got it.

Can be done, but henders move to a clean, 100% kde4
installation.

> Avoiding having kde-3.5 stuff installed is exactly the same as avoiding having
> firefox installed - don't emerge it.

Yep, I get it, manual_labor.

I was looooooking for a silver bullet,
so I can just auto prevent installing anything that
uses kde 3 *....

On this system, I install a lot of random software
just to test it out. Sure I can manually check for
any kde 3.5 dependancies, but it would just be
easier to find a way to mask off all kde 3.5, methinks,
and then deal with that exceptional piece of vintage
software on a one off basis....

thx,

James

Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 AM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Actually you can probably just do "emerge -pv --depclean kdelibs:3.5"
> to see what depends on kdelibs:3.5

Yes, agreed.

However, since this system is only for kde-4.x software, It be really
cool and easy to just find a way to mask off anything and everything
for kde 3.x, and be done with it.

Then If I had to, I can deal with exceptions, if I cannot live without
the software that need kde 3.x whatever.

Oh well,

thx,
James